Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #171
mpearce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
The STC1000 can be had for cheap on ebay with easy delivery to Japan from Hong Kong. It's a simple build to give yourself a digital controller which will do heating and cooling.
I looked this up on ebay and, wow they are cheap. Have you used one before? I need something that will turn on and off my heater while I am asleep or at work, can this do that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #172
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgwuggles View Post
Hi,

Sorry it is called Mizuame. Mizuame is a syrup made from a malt and rice mixture that was converted from starch to sugar. There are no preservatives in it and I didn't want to put normal sugar in my batch so I tossed it in.
I figured most beers have rice in them anyways so this might be a similar alternative
As was mentioned by someone previously the only trouble with adding something like that is it's difficult to know the exact amount of fermentables this will contribute to the wort.

There's nothing wrong with using plain white cane sugar, light/dark brown sugar. I've done quite a few beers where about 25% of the total grain bill was one form of cane sugar, or another, so it can be a cheap effective way of boosting ABV and with the brown sugars you get a little residual molasses flavouring which has worked well with some of my beers.
Have a 1lb (454g) bottle of Lyle's Golden Syrup that I was thinking of using in an upcoming ESB.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #173
srgwuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input on that. Sounds like that lyle's syrup was the kind of stuff I was looking for.
I guess I'll just have to wait and hope that the batch comes out ok.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #174
srgwuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By the way I have a friend who wants me to make a yuengling clone. I check around but it doesn't seem that I can get ahold of the ingredients needed for it here. Namely crystal malt 10. Anyone ever tried this? Or any suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #175
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgwuggles View Post
Hi,

Sorry it is called Mizuame. Mizuame is a syrup made from a malt and rice mixture that was converted from starch to sugar. There are no preservatives in it and I didn't want to put normal sugar in my batch so I tossed it in.
I figured most beers have rice in them anyways so this might be a similar alternative
If you were putting it in as part of the main ingredients and not the priming sugar then I can't think of a problem, it sounds just like liquid malt extract except with some rice. Hows the flavor? Hows the price compared to liquid malt extract? See how your attenuation goes and decide if you got the fermentables you wanted out of it I guess.

I tasted some stuff the other day a friend he called "kuromizu" which had a flavor similar to buckwheat honey. Could be used for some kinds of beers I suppose.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #176
srgwuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It cost me avoid 180 yen for 265grams of the stuff, which is cheaper than regular liquid malt extract I would think. Plus you don't have to pay shipping(^-^)
Honestly the stuff tasted like liquid sugar or Molasses if I were to describe it. It was extremely sweet and sticky. I read the Japanese wiki for it and it said it used to be used for making alcohol in Japan (like in the editor period) but I was apprehensive to use it because I don't know how it'll affect the flavor.
Anyway I guess we'll see in about a month or so

Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #177
srgwuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Edo period

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #178
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default Advanced Brewing Customers Meeting

Quick question for everyone; is anyone going to the Advanced Brewing customers homebrewer meeting tomorrow? I am currently trying to decide if I should go due to the ticket price; a pub session in Yokohama I will be going to soon will be pretty steep.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #179
JiBiru8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Quick question for everyone; is anyone going to the Advanced Brewing customers homebrewer meeting tomorrow? I am currently trying to decide if I should go due to the ticket price; a pub session in Yokohama I will be going to soon will be pretty steep.
I wish it went for longer than 2 hours. I don't know if I can drink 6 pints (to make it "worth" the ¥5,000 entry) without getting a little silly. Are a lot of people going (from the mailing list)?

Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #180
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't know, I sent Chuwy a message to see if he knows. A few of the people I met last time are busy and wont be there. Even then, with an event on Monday for me I can't let myself get too messy. I am thinking maybe I will pass this one up and we could try to get a small meetup together from the HBT group at a later date?

Quick Reply