The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #161
srgwuggles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi guys,
New to the brewing game and live in Tokyo. What do you think of adding amemizu as an additive as opposed to normal sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #162
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
Asahi malt ships from Shiga. Not guaranteed MO, it's only listed as English pale malt. But it is a good malt. 20k sacks. 3700 to 3900 a bag. Crushed bags run a bit more. 2row, pale malt, munich, german (pils?), and wheat. And you might want to join the Kinki brewers FB group. We're always doing group buys on malts and hops and gear. Let me know if you're interested in that.

The Kinki Brewers!!!!!!! Steve "Pud" Newman and RayOsaka are pretty prominent guys on that, I think. Will pay closer attention.

BTW. That seems like really good prices for the grains. Thanks for the info. Definitely interested.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #163
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Unfortunately, I live in Yokohama so I can't group buy with you Ogri

By the way Brendan, I'm planning on buying them crushed since I don't have a grain mill.

I plan on ordering the bag next monday. Prices are 4260 yen per 20kg bag for English Ale Malts, crushed.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #164
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Hey surume,

No worries Shouldn't be very expensive getting it transported from Shiga to Osaka. The 4.5 kg of uncrushed MO from Advanced last time cost me about ¥3,000 so even including shipping this'll be a great deal and 20 kg will only last somewhere from 4 to 6 or maybe 7 batches. Might be handy to find someone down here that I can group with for specialty grains, though.

Don't know if you're interested but doing BIAB and crushing(?) or more accurately pulverizing, my grains in one of those "magic bullet" food processors I manage to get pretty good efficiency. Only a few hundred yen saving so maybe not worth it for you.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #165
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had a bag shipped to Shikoku a few weeks ago and it was 540 yen for the shipping portion.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #166
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgwuggles
Hi guys,
New to the brewing game and live in Tokyo. What do you think of adding amemizu as an additive as opposed to normal sugar?
Same thing, is it not? Use it for priming?

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #167
tektonjp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri

The Kinki Brewers!!!!!!! Steve "Pud" Newman and RayOsaka are pretty prominent guys on that, I think. Will pay closer attention.

BTW. That seems like really good prices for the grains. Thanks for the info. Definitely interested.
Different group. Ours is a closed group (invite only). Not because we're special, but to keep under the radar. Send me a pm with your FB name and I'll add you. We just had a meeting last week and are planning a simple competition for the spring.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #168
tektonjp
Recipes 

BTW, the German malt from Asahi is indeed pils. I called and asked.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #169
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Haha I dont check in for a day or two and its nice to come back to a few new faces on this thread! Welcome Ogri and srgwuggles!

WhoZit created a Japan group here:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/japan/
(just reposting so you dont need to go back in this thread to find the link)

Surume that is totally fine with me on the crushed! I frankly dont feel like sitting out in the cold grinding for a half hour in this weather! I am not in a huge hurry for it so let me know how you'd like to get it to me. I dont mind picking it up in person at one of the yokohama craft beer bars sometime if you'd like to meet for a pint again!

srgwuggles, what is amemizu? Is it a simple syrup or something like honey? How are you going to use it? I would recommend using regular sugar, dextrose, or dry malt extract for bottle priming though as it might be tough to get the carbonation you want with an unknown fermentable.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #170
srgwuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,

Sorry it is called Mizuame. Mizuame is a syrup made from a malt and rice mixture that was converted from starch to sugar. There are no preservatives in it and I didn't want to put normal sugar in my batch so I tossed it in.
I figured most beers have rice in them anyways so this might be a similar alternative

Quick Reply