Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #151
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
I"m in a house I built with my very own two hands. The walls, floor, and ceiling have 20cm of glass wool insulation. What with my wood stove, the challenge is not to have a fermentation get too warm during the winter. Hope this story warms your hearts!
Oh nice! Its funny, Im from Canada and im not used to the cold INSIDE although its still tshirt weather outside.

The temperature controller is what I want, something I can use with a cooler in the summer and a heat pad in the winter. Any ideas where they can be found and price ranges? Johnson Controls' factory or warehouse is near my place maybe I can ask for a sample haha.
That newspaper contraption looked alright but I wonder if it would get moldy? There is a ton of condensation on my windows these days and i dont want to have any spores getting cozy and contaminating a batch...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #152
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Let us know on the Johnson's. would love to get one if they aren't too pricy.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #153
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The STC1000 can be had for cheap on ebay with easy delivery to Japan from Hong Kong. It's a simple build to give yourself a digital controller which will do heating and cooling.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #154
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ok, I'm planning to buy the bag of English Ale Malts from Asahi BM pretty soon. Anyone interested in sharing the bag?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #155
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume View Post
Ok, I'm planning to buy the bag of English Ale Malts from Asahi BM pretty soon. Anyone interested in sharing the bag?
Im still interested. I had only picked up specialty malts from AB and am almost out of base malt. Also, I am just plain curious how ordering from them will go.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #156
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Im still interested. I had only picked up specialty malts from AB and am almost out of base malt. Also, I am just plain curious how ordering from them will go.
AFAIK, by fax and bank transfer.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #157
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My house is damn cold in the winter. To keep my fermenter warm I wrap it with an old sleeping bag and have a small pet bed warmer (1700Y) tucked inside. That keeps it at a pretty constant 20C. To adjust the temp I very scientifically loosen or tighten the sleeping bag around the fermenter.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #158
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If anyone is thinking of ordering some specialty malts I'd be interested in doing a group purchase... I'll even do all the leg work

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #159
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Alright there, all

Didn't realise there was a thread like this on the go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume View Post
Would be interested in finding out the details for the sacks of English Ale Malts from Asahi. 67 yen per 100g of uncrushed Marris Otter from advanced brewing works out a bit expensive. Are they shipped from the big plant at Fukushima?? 25kg sacks?? How good is the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan
Oh nice! Its funny, Im from Canada and im not used to the cold INSIDE although its still tshirt weather outside.
Yeah, hotter inside than outside in the summer and colder inside than out in the winter. Keeps the kotatsu business going though,, I suppose

Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #160
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Asahi malt ships from Shiga. Not guaranteed MO, it's only listed as English pale malt. But it is a good malt. 20k sacks. 3700 to 3900 a bag. Crushed bags run a bit more. 2row, pale malt, munich, german (pils?), and wheat. And you might want to join the Kinki brewers FB group. We're always doing group buys on malts and hops and gear. Let me know if you're interested in that.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Quick Reply