Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #141
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just got my Munton's tanks and other stuff from AB, it was only shipped yesterday afternoon so that was quick! I took some photos for anyone who wants to see. (click)
These are exactly what I wanted, its stronger plastic and compresses less than the fermenters I currently use. Volume marks on the side are nice although the plastic is opaque. There aren't any vent holes in either tank though so I drilled the center of the lid for the tap addition on one and put a tiny vent on the other end of the top.

Quite a bit of extract in there too! I added a bit of hot water to each tank and rinsed it out into a pitcher, about a kg without the water. After diluting some and checking the SG it looks like I should be able to make 6L of wort at 1.05 Starting gravity. Right now I am heating up the undiluted extract to sterilize it, should be fine in a sanitized glass umeshu jar for a few days while I figure out what to make with it.

Bottled my smoked porter today too; that 100 yen bottle drying rack worked fine without any extra support. I could fit about 25 bottles on it, long necks fit quite well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #142
JiBiru8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wish I had seen this thread earlier!

Another Japan (Tokyo) homebrewer here. Great to see a bunch of people here enjoying the hobby.

Brendan, I met you (or at least remember a white guy with dreads named Brendan, hah) at the Advanced Homebrew meet at the Watering Hole in August. I wonder when their house beers will be available to the public.

Do you know when Devil Craft will have their beers ready to go?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #143
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hi JiBiru8 that was me alright! This time I will have an all-grain to bring to the party.. er.. meeting. I have a weak IPA (my goal was a beer that SWMBO could partake) and a smoked Porter that are both conditioning. The house is so cold right now that I will be lucky if the porter is fully carbonated by next week, I only bottled it a week and a bit ago.
This thread has been growing since a little after that meeting when I started it. I'm pretty happy to find this many enthusiastic people here as well!

I live a bit of a ways out of the city so I've only been to the WH the one time. I don't know when DC or the Watering hole will have their beers made. Maybe we will see one of them at the meetup and can pester for information

Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #144
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan
Just got my Munton's tanks and other stuff from AB, it was only shipped yesterday afternoon so that was quick! I took some photos for anyone who wants to see. (click)
These are exactly what I wanted, its stronger plastic and compresses less than the fermenters I currently use. Volume marks on the side are nice although the plastic is opaque. There aren't any vent holes in either tank though so I drilled the center of the lid for the tap addition on one and put a tiny vent on the other end of the top.

Quite a bit of extract in there too! I added a bit of hot water to each tank and rinsed it out into a pitcher, about a kg without the water. After diluting some and checking the SG it looks like I should be able to make 6L of wort at 1.05 Starting gravity. Right now I am heating up the undiluted extract to sterilize it, should be fine in a sanitized glass umeshu jar for a few days while I figure out what to make with it.

Bottled my smoked porter today too; that 100 yen bottle drying rack worked fine without any extra support. I could fit about 25 bottles on it, long necks fit quite well.
If you water that wort down to 1.030, you could use it for yeast starters.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #145
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
If you water that wort down to 1.030, you could use it for yeast starters.
Thats exactly what I did, I made a 2L starter for the Lager this week. I added the rest to the Pilsner kit for the extra fermentables instead of sugar. It says it was "light extract" so I hope that doesn't change the pilsner flavor too much. I have a bit left over that I put in canning jars and heated to 90 in a water bath for a while, hope that holds them over until the next brew.

This is my first lager in a long time; the first in Japan for me. The kitchen is 5-10 degrees Celsius and my winter jacket has been on it all week keeping it at around 15 I hope? I keep thinking there's a little guy standing in the corner when I see it out of the corner of my eye... It seems that if I really want to enjoy this hobby in Japan or at least this house, I will be better off doing a full temperature controlled fermentation chamber.

How are you guys dealing with temperatures in Japan? Do you have insulated buildings or live in a rabbit hutch like I do?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #146
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I also raise geckos, so I had heat tape and a thermostat on hand. I wrap each fermenter in a strip of flex watt heat tape (a heating pad would be ok) and then wrap that with some leftover polyurethane foam I had from another project. The thermostat keeps everything in check. Again, I happened to have all this on hand, so it may not be for everyone.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #147
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You could probably use an aquarium thermostat. You'd need to figure out the difference between liquid inside the vessel and the temp setting. I put the probe between the foam and the fermenter. I connect a power strip to the socket and daisy chain 3-4 at a time, with one thermo on one of the fermenters.

Cold crashing is easy now, eh?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #148
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Advanced Brewing put up a photo of some homemade fermentor covers on their Facebook page about a week ago. It looked like a few layers of newspaper shaped into a cover that fit over the fermentor with a little space in between the ferm sides and the paper. I think they just threw a heating pad underneath it.

Anyways, I thought the newspaper thing was an interesting idea. I still like the idea of some sort of temp controller in the heating source.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #149
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

While this is my first brew. I wrapped a heated blanket for a twin bed around it then put a spare sleeping bag around that. I bought a digital thermometer for 700 yen that has an external probe that I taped to the bottom of the ferm so the blanket wouldn't give it false readings. Seems to work good. I checked my strip temp to my prob temp and it is very close so no worries. Now I don't have to open the whole thing up to check. I will upgrade to a controller and ferm wrap or something when I have extra funds.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #150
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
How are you guys dealing with temperatures in Japan? Do you have insulated buildings or live in a rabbit hutch like I do?
I"m in a house I built with my very own two hands. The walls, floor, and ceiling have 20cm of glass wool insulation. What with my wood stove, the challenge is not to have a fermentation get too warm during the winter. Hope this story warms your hearts!

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Quick Reply