Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #131
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

3 days, yeah! What will you be brewin'?

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #132
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I just got two brews worth of ingredients. It'll either be a Scotch Ale or an IIPA. I'm leaning more towards the Scotch Ale because it'll take longer to finish... but my IPA supply is starting to run low. What a dilemma!
On a related note, the honey nut brown ale I brewed last month is almost ready now. Going to sample another bottle now to see how it is coming along Have a good one!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #133
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just placed an order with AB, but after signing up, shopping, typing in all the forms and hitting OK I realized whoops I missed my house number I thought I had copy and pasted it all. Anyway I have sent in an email to explain, hope I got through to them...
*Edit* - turns out I also tried to order 600X100gm Chocolate and 500X100gm Carared specialty malts! I was thinking in grams and typed out what I wanted (600gm and 500gm). Glad they caught that or I'd be making porter for a whole year! I suppose a brew supply website must get all sorts of intoxicated looking orders.

I asked for 2 of the Munton's tanks, seems like its worth the shipping cost for passable fermenters.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #134
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoZiT View Post
3 days, yeah! What will you be brewin'?
I will be brewing my first brew tomorrow if all goes well, finally got all my stuff here from the US. I got a Midwest Smooth Nut Brown Ale that is calling to me.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #135
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpearce

I will be brewing my first brew tomorrow if all goes well, finally got all my stuff here from the US. I got a Midwest Smooth Nut Brown Ale that is calling to me.
May the schwartzbier with you!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #136
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

For those Muntons water tanks, what would you suggest for the airlock? Did you use a stopper to go with it or some other way to seal it?

I just got a first taste from a smoked maple porter I brewed up a few weeks ago (had to do something with the sample from the hydrometer ). It is going to end up being a really nice beer I think. Next up is the Scotch ale!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #137
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuokaBrad
For those Muntons water tanks, what would you suggest for the airlock? Did you use a stopper to go with it or some other way to seal it?
Drilled a hole to fit the stoppers that I already had for my buckets. Interchangeability was the goal.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #138
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you move one of the muntons tanks while fermenting, does it depressurize and suck air back through the airlock? (are the sides rigid enough to hold their shape well?) I have that problem with the "BUB" water tanks I am using now; the sides are too flexible. I use about 50cm of tubing into a blowoff bottle/airlock instead of a regular airlock. When I move it I pull the tubing in the blowoff bottle up out of the liquid, so instead of sucking back water into the fermenter it pulls up residual CO2 and perhaps a bit of dust free air. I don't know which is worse but I don't really like the idea of liquid dripping into the beer.

AB brewing communicated by email until everything was corrected on my order. Next time I will pay a bit more attention to the significant digits when I click OK.

That smoked maple porter sounds good! Is it maplewood smoked or maple syrup spiked? I am going to bottle a Sakurawood smoked porter on Monday, it finished with a high gravity of 1.024 but I have oatmeal in it and it hasn't moved for a week. Smoking the malt myself was quite enjoyable, I will do that again!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #139
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah the sides do compress a bit. I should have mentioned that. The most moving I do after fermentation starts is to raise or lower the vessel. What i do to compensate is either lift it without using the handle or just pull the airlock. I suppose if you had a long enough hose that was full of co2, having the blow off might be more ideal.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #140
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I actually used maple syrup I brought back from a friend's sugar shack in Ontario this summer. I reduced it before using it because I wanted to reduce the fermentable sugars so that some of the flavour sticks around. I used a little more than I intended (about 500ml) and my OG was on the high side 1.065. The reading I took the other day was 1.018 and appears to still be falling. I thought I would have had a higher FG so it's going to be a strong one!

If this ends up being as good as I think it may (fingers crossed!) I'll be making another batch of it but racking it onto cherries for a few weeks. Something about a smoked maple cherry porter just has such a nice ring to it

Quick Reply