Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #111
surume
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

IH pots means they can be used with IH stoves (some pots cannot be used on IH, only electric and gas). All pots can be used with gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #112
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
nah, whenever I make a mistake it goes straight into the garden to fertilize monster tomatoes. I didn't mean to sound paranoid and I dont feel a need to rely on PM messages about group buys.

Surume, Thats the "Maris Otter" type right? I'd be interested. When are you planning your buy? I'd be interested in getting a bag of wheat too, care to split one? I Haven't done any wheat beers yet.

Looking at the Asahi order form section for hops, I am bit confused. Is that price per kilo or price for the whole 20kg? If its for the 20kg that is a ridiculously cheap option for Hallertau, Nugget, Cascade, and (saaz? zeus? what's ザーツ?). I would be down for a group buy of Hallertau at that price, there's even an option to have 8 separate bags shipped Oh look, we have 8 members of the Japan group right now
ザーツ is Saaz. But yeah, that's the per kilogram price, so you'll have to multiply that by 20 to get the full price.

Yeah, its the Maris-Ottery one, although it could be Golden Promise or any other English ale malt. I'm planning to buy it before the end of the year. Perhaps the first week or second week of this December.

Not planning any wheat beers atm, unfortunately... I don't have a mill and getting through 10kg of ale malt before it goes stale is a tight enough schedule for me. I'm also planning to buy 10m of copper tubing for a immersion wort chiller, and maybe a new fermenter, which will set me back on my budget as well.

When I start working full time in April, I'll have a lot more money to work with, but for the time being, I'm going to have to keep things small.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #113
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp
The pot you listed is for IH use. Not sure how it would work on a propane burner. Here are some SS ones on Yahoo.
15 liter pot? What's your batch size?

50 liter : http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s306634199
30 liter http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s306633785
Ah got it. I am going to be doing 5g (19L) batches. Would like to do full boils but don't know if it is possible yet or not on my stove. The wife is not home on Saturdays, my planned brew days, so that is not an issue so I can go brew crazy. I will have my brewing kit this week so looking for a good pot before that if possible. I have a 19L pot I borrowed from the father-in-law but if I could get a full one before the weekend I will be

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #114
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoZiT
IH refers to a bottom designed to work efficiently with the all-electrical stoves that are trending now.

I thought the same thing about the hops at first. It's a per-kg price, sold in lots of 20kg or whatever.
I have the gas stove still which I like better than electric.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #115
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp
The pot you listed is for IH use. Not sure how it would work on a propane burner. Here are some SS ones on Yahoo.
15 liter pot? What's your batch size?

50 liter : http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s306634199
30 liter http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s306633785
Damn that is cheap. I think I will get one of those 30L ones. That should work fine for a full boil I would think.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #116
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just ordered 10 metres of copper tubing and 10 metres of silicon tubing.

Oh gawd what did I do

Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #117
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume
I just ordered 10 metres of copper tubing and 10 metres of silicon tubing.

Oh gawd what did I do
I made my chiller last week. Came out great. Very easy to do if you have a form to bend around. Only the tube ends were a bit tough to bend. I used the tube bender and that made it very easy though.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #118
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 54

[QUOTE=ShizuokaBrad;4600309]Hey guys! I'm brewing down in Numazu, Shizuoka. This thread has really blown up recently! Lots of great info. Thanks.

I'm finding getting specialty malts quite frustrating these days. Anyone interested in doing a share on some larger bags. Sakeland carries most of the Weyermann malts in 25kg bags. Prices are high~ish at anywhere from 6900¥~8000¥.

Anyway, good to know there are some very active homebrewers out there.[/QUOTE

Okay y'all, I'm going to offer my malt list from Ohnishi Shoten in Tokyo. You can get specialty malts for just a bit more than regular malt. You can buy direct from them. The only problem is that sometimes you need to remind them of your order because you are a small guy. They don't always just right on it like the people at Asahi. Anyone who wants the list and how to contact, PM me. I don't really want to stick it out here in public. EDIT: I can't seem to attach images to PM, so please include a regular email addy so I can post the forms to you.

BTW, specialty malts, kept right, will keep for a loooong time, unlike base malts. Split a bag between 4-5 people.

And no, I'm not afraid of the boogie man by being on this forum. The guys in the tax department have better things to do than to troll a homebrewing forum in english.

As for hops, there are a couple of hops specialty stores in the States which will ship 3.5-4 pounds of hops overseas for 18 bucks shipping. This is another way to buddy up and split stuff. See Nikobrew and Yakima Valley Hops.

Cheeers

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #119
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I spoke to Nikobrew today. They ship to Japan no problem and try to give as much a discount on shipping as possible. They have a great selection of hops IMHO. I will be using them in the future.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #120
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I actually just ordered 4 pounds total (8 different varieties at .5 pounds each) from Yakima valley. Their prices seems a bit cheaper than nikobrew for the varieties I wanted. The price for 4 pounds, including shipping, was US$68. I thought it was a pretty good price compared to the cost of buying from domestic retailers. As well, it seems that it was shipped the same day and it was possible to use paypal instead of credit cards. I'll give on update when they get here to let you guys know how it all turned out.

Quick Reply