*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #101
mpearce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume View Post
This website has stainless steel cooking pots of all sizes for really cheap.

http://www.daishin-syouji.co.jp/SHOP.../t01/list.html

There is a 22 Litre one for 6280 yen, 24 Litre one for 7680, or a 31 Litre one for 6750 yen. The "Han-Zundo" pots are more expensive compared to their holding capacity than their "Zundo" counterparts... The only difference is shape, the Han-Zundo or the "Half" Zundo is shorter and wider. Probably more expensive to produce those than the tall and slim Zundos.

I have never ordered from them though.
Cheapest prices I have seen so far. Will for get something after the first of the year if not sooner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #102
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Do you need IH? This brings up the cost quite a bit.

I bought a new 50L stainless zundo from yahoo auctions for about 5000 yen shipped. It's thin, only about 5kg, but it gets the job done. Of course I use an outdoor 3-ren burner. 70L was not much more and I think the next step down was about 30L.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #103
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuokaBrad View Post
Hey guys! I'm brewing down in Numazu, Shizuoka. This thread has really blown up recently! Lots of great info. Thanks.

I'm finding getting specialty malts quite frustrating these days. Anyone interested in doing a share on some larger bags. Sakeland carries most of the Weyermann malts in 25kg bags. Prices are high~ish at anywhere from 6900¥~8000¥.

Anyway, good to know there are some very active homebrewers out there.
I just hope that we don't get the "hammered nail" treatment because we are discussing this out in the open. There are other active homebrewers around but they don't publicly discuss it much as to avoid attracting trouble. I wonder if you can buy somthing like "offsales" of specialty malts from the friendly folks at Baird? They seem like very approachable personalities although they are extremely busy all the time.

This thread really did take off! Looking at the stats now, its up to 1442 views and 103 responses! Maybe its getting time to consolidate some of the "where to buy" information into a specific discussion in the Japan group? I'd like to see some of that info without scrolling through a hundred posts.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #104
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I guess it might be best to keep it to PMs if anyone is interested.

Honestly though, what homebrewer out there could justify having 25kg bags of say, Melanoidin, when they are doing 5g batches and only using a few hundred grams at a time?

Many of the other specialty malts, like Caramel varieties, roasted, smoked etc are easy enough to get in smaller quantities but ones like aroma or melanoidin seem to only be available in 25kgs (unless I'm missing something).

Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #105
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

By the way, I'm thinking about getting a 20kg bag of pre-milled "Ale Malt" by Asahi BM. If anyone is interested in buying half, let me know. I live about 20 mins by car from Yokohama Station.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #106
yoshiie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
I just hope that we don't get the "hammered nail" treatment because we are discussing this out in the open. There are other active homebrewers around but they don't publicly discuss it much as to avoid attracting trouble.
Brendan, what do you mean? Homebrewing is completely legal in Japan, as long as it is under 1% alcohol

I mix all of my "beer" with gut-rot-cheap-ass Shochu from the local discount store and drink it like a Hoppy Which I assume everyone commenting on this board does as well

Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #107
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiie View Post
Brendan, what do you mean? Homebrewing is completely legal in Japan, as long as it is under 1% alcohol

I mix all of my "beer" with gut-rot-cheap-ass Shochu from the local discount store and drink it like a Hoppy Which I assume everyone commenting on this board does as well
nah, whenever I make a mistake it goes straight into the garden to fertilize monster tomatoes. I didn't mean to sound paranoid and I dont feel a need to rely on PM messages about group buys.

Surume, Thats the "Maris Otter" type right? I'd be interested. When are you planning your buy? I'd be interested in getting a bag of wheat too, care to split one? I Haven't done any wheat beers yet.

Looking at the Asahi order form section for hops, I am bit confused. Is that price per kilo or price for the whole 20kg? If its for the 20kg that is a ridiculously cheap option for Hallertau, Nugget, Cascade, and (saaz? zeus? what's ザーツ?). I would be down for a group buy of Hallertau at that price, there's even an option to have 8 separate bags shipped Oh look, we have 8 members of the Japan group right now

Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #108
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoZiT
Do you need IH? This brings up the cost quite a bit.

I bought a new 50L stainless zundo from yahoo auctions for about 5000 yen shipped. It's thin, only about 5kg, but it gets the job done. Of course I use an outdoor 3-ren burner. 70L was not much more and I think the next step down was about 30L.
I'm sorry what is IH?

I like the yahoo auctions idea. Have to check that out too. I am still on the gas stove in the house so can't go too big and bad just yet. I think I can do 32 liter on the stove it two burners. Willing to give it a try at least. I want to get a burner for outside but that will be some time coming I think. Have to weight cost to need factor.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #109
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The pot you listed is for IH use. Not sure how it would work on a propane burner. Here are some SS ones on Yahoo.
15 liter pot? What's your batch size?

50 liter : http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/s306634199
30 liter http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/s306633785

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #110
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

IH refers to a bottom designed to work efficiently with the all-electrical stoves that are trending now.

I thought the same thing about the hops at first. It's a per-kg price, sold in lots of 20kg or whatever.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Quick Reply