Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #91
tektonjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I was just at the Harujuku pub last night. Yum. I met the Japanese home brewer whose porter is being brewed by Baird (Wan Cup). He happened to bring in a bottle for sampling. Yum!
As for stir rods, you can get them on Monotaro: https://www.monotaro.com/g/00177579/ you may want a longer one. And defintiely to find a glass bottle/flask with a flat bottom. Most are curved and very hard to use a stir rod.
And for speed, I have a 12v PC cooling fan which I power with a multi voltage wall wart. It's one of those adaptor types you can put different tips on to run different things at different volts - up to 12 volts. I cut the tip off, and by switching the voltage, I vary the speed of the fan. Handy. Full 12v is way too fast.
Edit: Here is the thread for my stir plate build. You can see a pic of the wall wart I talking about. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/i-stir-plate-285927/

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #92
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

http://www.komei.or.jp/news/detail/20121110_9593

Looks like the Komei Party received a request to make homebrewing legal. Hope this passes in the parliament.

By the way, went down to Bashamichi Taproom for Country Girl Kabocha Ale; wasn't so pumpkin-y as I expected, but rather a hint of baked pumpkin. You couldn't really tell if it was pumpkin if you weren't told.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #93
yoshiie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume View Post
http://www.komei.or.jp/news/detail/20121110_9593

Looks like the Komei Party received a request to make homebrewing legal. Hope this passes in the parliament.
Best of Luck to Yamanaka-san! Hope this time it's successful

Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #94
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

BIG NEWS! Its been quite a while but the next organized Homebrew meeting is happening in December! I hope you can all make it to Tokyo for this, I'd like to meet you in person and share some brews! I went to one in June and had a lot of fun and met many homebrewers there (but neglected to get a lot of their contact info).

Place: Popeyes (Tokyo)
Time: December 16th 2pm-4pm (leaving plenty of time for afterparty)
Tickets: 5000 Yen ( I don't know what we get for that price, details to come)
I believe we should find some details soon at this section of advanced brewing: (http://advanced-brewing.com/club.html)
Has anyone who has ordered from Advanced gotten any notice or info yet? I have never ordered from them yet so I got this information second-hand.

Homebrew 忘年会を開催します。
 ・日 時   :2012年12月16日(日曜日) 14:00~16:00
 ・場 所   :麦酒倶楽部 POPEYE
 ・会 費   :5000円
 ・その他   :ご厚意により、休業日の貸し切り開催と
         させていただきました
詳細追ってホームページでお知らせいたします

Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #95
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just popped down to Costco at Shin-Sugita and found a stainless steel 15 litre pot for less than 3000 yen. Dunno if it is any good, doesn't look as sturdy as the more expensive counterparts but it definitely is a bargain at this price.

I'll use it in my next all-grain attempt.

The homebrew party sounds great, although I don't have any brews I feel are good enough to give out to people, I think I'll pop by.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #96
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
BIG NEWS! Its been quite a while but the next organized Homebrew meeting is happening in December! I hope you can all make it to Tokyo for this, I'd like to meet you in person and share some brews! I went to one in June and had a lot of fun and met many homebrewers there (but neglected to get a lot of their contact info).

Place: Popeyes (Tokyo)
Time: December 16th 2pm-4pm (leaving plenty of time for afterparty)
Tickets: 5000 Yen ( I don't know what we get for that price, details to come)
I believe we should find some details soon at this section of advanced brewing: (http://advanced-brewing.com/club.html)
Has anyone who has ordered from Advanced gotten any notice or info yet? I have never ordered from them yet so I got this information second-hand.

Homebrew 忘年会を開催します。
 ・日 時   :2012年12月16日(日曜日) 14:00~16:00
 ・場 所   :麦酒倶楽部 POPEYE
 ・会 費   :5000円
 ・その他   :ご厚意により、休業日の貸し切り開催と
         させていただきました
詳細追ってホームページでお知らせいたします
I ordered from them the other week but haven't heard anything. 5000 yen for two hours is a bit pricy, but lets see what it is for. I am interested in going for sure though.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #97
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I just popped down to Costco at Shin-Sugita and found a stainless steel 15 litre pot for less than 3000 yen. Dunno if it is any good, doesn't look as sturdy as the more expensive counterparts but it definitely is a bargain at this price.

I'll use it in my next all-grain attempt.

The homebrew party sounds great, although I don't have any brews I feel are good enough to give out to people, I think I'll pop by.
did they have any 24 liter pots? I want to do a full boil for 20 liters.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #98
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This website has stainless steel cooking pots of all sizes for really cheap.

http://www.daishin-syouji.co.jp/SHOP/46847/67993/t01/list.html

There is a 22 Litre one for 6280 yen, 24 Litre one for 7680, or a 31 Litre one for 6750 yen. The "Han-Zundo" pots are more expensive compared to their holding capacity than their "Zundo" counterparts... The only difference is shape, the Han-Zundo or the "Half" Zundo is shorter and wider. Probably more expensive to produce those than the tall and slim Zundos.

I have never ordered from them though.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #99
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey guys! I'm brewing down in Numazu, Shizuoka. This thread has really blown up recently! Lots of great info. Thanks.

I'm finding getting specialty malts quite frustrating these days. Anyone interested in doing a share on some larger bags. Sakeland carries most of the Weyermann malts in 25kg bags. Prices are high~ish at anywhere from 6900¥~8000¥.

Anyway, good to know there are some very active homebrewers out there.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #100
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
This website has stainless steel cooking pots of all sizes for really cheap.

http://www.daishin-syouji.co.jp/SHOP/46847/67993/t01/list.html

There is a 22 Litre one for 6280 yen, 24 Litre one for 7680, or a 31 Litre one for 6750 yen. The "Han-Zundo" pots are more expensive compared to their holding capacity than their "Zundo" counterparts... The only difference is shape, the Han-Zundo or the "Half" Zundo is shorter and wider. Probably more expensive to produce those than the tall and slim Zundos.

I have never ordered from them though.
Cool, thanks for the link.

Quick Reply