Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Canadian Roll Call!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #31
MoreHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks gbx. But I should've elaborated -- I meant that I was futzing with water chemistry by adding a bit of gypsum to make my yeast happier (Ca2+) and sulphate to make the hops "pop" a bit more. I'm going to experiment with CaCl2 to play with maltiness. And then ratios (Beersmith to the rescue!). I like experimenting (I have a PhD in a science field....so it's a little engrained). ;-).
Just an example of why i like to experiment/test: Van water SUPPOSEDLY has a pH in the range of ~6.7. However, when I test it straight out of my tap or after leaving water out overnight, I get readings of ~5.2 (good for mashing, but the fish in my aquarium aren't terribly excited about it...). Maybe it's just my neighbourhood or house. I've been contemplating a Ward Labs analysis...
That all being said, I had read AJ's water primer a while ago and thought it was an excellent resource. It actually got me started at looking into my water. But I'm not trying to change my water too much... just trying to get it "perfect" (for the style of beer)...
Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #32
Sock
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Yo Vancouver All Grainer....

Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #33
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHops View Post
Thanks gbx. But I should've elaborated -- I meant that I was futzing with water chemistry by adding a bit of gypsum to make my yeast happier (Ca2+) and sulphate to make the hops "pop" a bit more. I'm going to experiment with CaCl2 to play with maltiness. And then ratios (Beersmith to the rescue!). I like experimenting (I have a PhD in a science field....so it's a little engrained). ;-).
Just an example of why i like to experiment/test: Van water SUPPOSEDLY has a pH in the range of ~6.7. However, when I test it straight out of my tap or after leaving water out overnight, I get readings of ~5.2 (good for mashing, but the fish in my aquarium aren't terribly excited about it...). Maybe it's just my neighbourhood or house. I've been contemplating a Ward Labs analysis...
That all being said, I had read AJ's water primer a while ago and thought it was an excellent resource. It actually got me started at looking into my water. But I'm not trying to change my water too much... just trying to get it "perfect" (for the style of beer)...
Cheers!
I did a series of mash pH tests a earlier this year (I posted some of the results to the water primer thread). Every time I've checked the water out of the tap it was between 6.7 and 7.1 so there are clearly some daily variations. I never saw anything that low but with such pure water it probably wouldn't take much to drop the pH into the 5s. I never had was a mash that was so out of range that it was in dire need of any sort of adjustment (a 100% pilsner malt mash was at the high end, a 70+ srm IRS was at the low end but both were still in range). ...but my experiments were hardly scientific. If you've done any mash pH tests, I'd love to see the results.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #34
DigB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For those of you in Manitoba...This is what you have to look forward to in the near future!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x9TuLJqQUJ0#!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #35
lpsumo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm brand new to homebrewing, my main motivation being how stupidly expensive booze is in Canada.

I am in Burnaby BC and so far have only dabbled in mead making as it seems easier than GF beer or wine.

I would love to get into wine making but don't know where to start.

While I have the attention of all 10 canadians on this board... What's the deal with amazon.ca? Why is there no homebrew gear, like air locks or hydrometers? Amazon.com has a nice selection but say they can't send it to cananda, what gives?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #36
dutchcanuck
Recipes 

St. Catharines, Ontario here. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only brewer in Niagara!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #37
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsumo View Post
I'm brand new to homebrewing, my main motivation being how stupidly expensive booze is in Canada.

I am in Burnaby BC and so far have only dabbled in mead making as it seems easier than GF beer or wine.

I would love to get into wine making but don't know where to start.

While I have the attention of all 10 canadians on this board... What's the deal with amazon.ca? Why is there no homebrew gear, like air locks or hydrometers? Amazon.com has a nice selection but say they can't send it to cananda, what gives?
I Dont know, but give dan's home brewing a shot on hastings. I recently went to the states and assumed breing stuff would be cheaper there, its not!

dan has airlocks for less than a buck i think, and hes fairly close if you live in burnaby.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #38
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcanuck View Post
St. Catharines, Ontario here. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only brewer in Niagara!

You realize you're home to the largest, and only (that I know of) brew school in the nation right?!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #39
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnellSitka View Post
I Dont know, but give dan's home brewing a shot on hastings. I recently went to the states and assumed breing stuff would be cheaper there, its not!

dan has airlocks for less than a buck i think, and hes fairly close if you live in burnaby.
Dan's has the cheapest prices you will find anywhere and his stuff is always super fresh (its rare to find a wyeast smack pack in his fridge that is more than a week old) The only downside is his selection is limited and he only sells hops by the oz. If you are starting out, Dan's is definitely the place to go. If you are nerding out and looking for a specific brand named item or malt, Bosa Grape in Burnaby it awesome.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #40
Macdonald87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to the Club, originally from Ontario, Livin in Victoria BC now. Just did my first batch turned out great planning my second batch either an IPA or Porter. Dont know which way I am going to go yet.

Cheers,
Macdonald

Macdonalds Beer Blog

Quick Reply