Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Canadian Roll Call!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #101
dino821235
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Home brewer from calgary.

Good to see another Home brewer from Calgary......i am a all-grain brewer from NW calgary and have been brewing for about 2 years now and am finally getting some good beers with all-grain.Just brewed a Janets Brown....looking forward to that one....

Old 03-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #102
jrstacey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just stumbled on this thread.

I've been brewing beer and wine kits on and off for the last 10+ years. After getting fed up wit the kits I started doing partial mash/BIAB and cider. Finally gearing up to all grain this spring.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #103
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me. I will be going to Vancouver first and then spending 10 days in the Edmonton & Camrose area. I know Dan's homebrew supply in Vancouver and have bought from them before. Can anyone recommend some shops in the Edmonton area? I found estate brewing on google but no prices or indication if stuff is out of stock. Any that have online catalogues so I can compare prices? I want to see if it is worth picking up stuff in Vancouver during my first 2 days or if there are well stocked shops accessible later. Looking for an autosiphon or 2, a bottle sanitizer pump, stock of dry yeasts, and other misc stuff that is small enough for my suitcase.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #104
MoreHops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me. I will be going to Vancouver first and then spending 10 days in the Edmonton & Camrose area. I know Dan's homebrew supply in Vancouver and have bought from them before. Can anyone recommend some shops in the Edmonton area? I found estate brewing on google but no prices or indication if stuff is out of stock. Any that have online catalogues so I can compare prices? I want to see if it is worth picking up stuff in Vancouver during my first 2 days or if there are well stocked shops accessible later. Looking for an autosiphon or 2, a bottle sanitizer pump, stock of dry yeasts, and other misc stuff that is small enough for my suitcase.
Thanks!
I can't give any Edmonton area advice, but here in the Van area, we've got a couple other HBSs in addition to Dan's that might be worth checking out:
1. Bosa Grape http://ecom.bosagrape.com/home.php
2. Barley's Homebrewing http://www.barleyshomebrewing.com

Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #105
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 93

The only place to really buy from is Winning Wines Plus in Edmonton. The Southside store has the best selection of yeasts and hops, but the west side store has a better malt selection, and they will mill your grains for you.

Bottles: Smoked Porter | Ginger Beer | Ommeggang Gnomegang Clone
Kegs: Corriander Amber Ale

Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #106
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks guys!
I might have to go to Barley's just to get something milled BY BICYCLE POWER! That is awesome!

I recall Bosa now (near Royal Oak station I think) and haven't ordered from them before. Do you need to order ahead of time for Bosa or can you just go to their address? I am interested in cheesmaking (did a couple mozzarella attempts last month) and since they carry cheese supplies as well I would like to go talk and shop.

Cultkid, can you tell me if Winning Wines has extensive equipment as well? Their site just lists a lot of kit wines and beers but its really only the equipment and small things that I will be able to bring back to Japan with me.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #107
ChrisfromAbby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me.
My other hobby brings me to Japan (Kashiwa area) once in awhile. Maybe I can brinh stuff along. I live in Abbotsford. Could be fun to meet a brewer there/here!

Chris

Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #108
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan

Cultkid, can you tell me if Winning Wines has extensive equipment as well? Their site just lists a lot of kit wines and beers but its really only the equipment and small things that I will be able to bring back to Japan with me.
They have everything from $10 racking canes and $3 fermometers, to $500 20gal boil kettles and $300 stir plates. I wouldn't say they have a HUGE selection, but they have lots of stuff.

Send me a private message when you get here, and I'll hook you up with a couple of homebrews!

If you're here on April 8, that's the Edmonton Home Brewer's Guild monthly meeting day. We have it at Alley Kat brewery, and I'm sure no one would object if you dropped in for a visit! :cheers:

Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #109
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ps: meeting is at 19:00 usually.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #110
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thats always a welcome idea! There are some suppliers here we get malts and hops from but the selection isn't extensive and some things just aren't easy to get at reasonable prices. For cheesemaking I bought 3 grams of rennet for about 15 bucks when 30 grams goes for 30 bucks in Canada - thats a hell of a markup. I think there are one or two guys that brew in the Kashiwa area as well, if its the place just northeast of Tokyo you mean.
Cheers!
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisfromAbby View Post
My other hobby brings me to Japan (Kashiwa area) once in awhile. Maybe I can brinh stuff along. I live in Abbotsford. Could be fun to meet a brewer there/here!

Chris

Quick Reply