Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Anyone in okinawa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #31
licenseless
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadtoad00 View Post
Not too new to Island, but fairly new to brewing. I'm planning a Keezer build next month, OYS chest freezer pendng. I get my supplies from Midwestsupplies.com, and shipping isn't too expensive, and doesn't take long. My only issue with the Keezer, is the CO2 tanks. You guys said earlier that its pretty easy to rent tanks vs. getting American tanks filled? would they have 5# tanks or a similar volume? And has anyone checked Typhoon motors or equivelant welding shops for fills? Sorry for the long response
First off the cheapest place to fill tanks is off base... On base doesn't do it that I know of... And I know most the guys at any of the auto hobby shops... And most don't even weld Hahhahahaa

The off base places have smaller tanks but it is rare they have them in... So more than likely u will have to do a main line in to the side of the keg fridge... Then put a line devider on the inside and send those to your kegs ... Or spend the money to have a 5 gallon tank leak tested and adapted to work with off base systems... Which can get pricey considering a 25 dollar adapter will allow the offbase tanks to work with American Gage systems

I have had the same co2 tank for the last 8 months on about 8 or so doddery batches and I can probably keep using for a few more befor I have to spend 20 bucks to get it refilled

Let me know when u guys brew next... I should have a brew going in the next few weeks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #32
loadtoad00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by licenseless View Post
First off the cheapest place to fill tanks is off base... On base doesn't do it that I know of... And I know most the guys at any of the auto hobby shops... And most don't even weld Hahhahahaa

The off base places have smaller tanks but it is rare they have them in... So more than likely u will have to do a main line in to the side of the keg fridge... Then put a line devider on the inside and send those to your kegs ... Or spend the money to have a 5 gallon tank leak tested and adapted to work with off base systems... Which can get pricey considering a 25 dollar adapter will allow the offbase tanks to work with American Gage systems

I have had the same co2 tank for the last 8 months on about 8 or so doddery batches and I can probably keep using for a few more befor I have to spend 20 bucks to get it refilled

Let me know when u guys brew next... I should have a brew going in the next few weeks
Yeah, I actually have a motorcycle shop down the street from my house, and I asked them about getting tanks filled, they said my best bet was Okano Gas Co. Which, from further research in this forum, is where I would get the adapter. I have a 5# tank, and it fits in my Keezer to be with 2 corneys, but I may just have to do what you are saying Oh well, still better than anything at the class 6. Thanks for the advise!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #33
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm in the same boat as you loadtoad00, have my keezer here with me but my 5# bottle will be empty very soon, gotta find an adapter and bottle. I have an Amber Ale, Pale Ale and 2 Apfelwein's fermenting right now.

If you need any help with the keezer or want to check one out (maybe not the best example but it works) I live on Kadena and am home most evenings.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #34
loadtoad00
Recipes 

i have a friend searching the island tomorrow for a place that fills american tanks.......there has to be a place to do it....it really should only take a hp adapter....btw, i just live out gate one, perhaps one of these days we can get together and brew

Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #35
licenseless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadtoad00 View Post
i have a friend searching the island tomorrow for a place that fills american tanks.......there has to be a place to do it....it really should only take a hp adapter....btw, i just live out gate one, perhaps one of these days we can get together and brew
any place that does co2 will fill your tank

BUT

your tank has to go threw a japanese inspection first

you cant just take any tank up there ... it has to full fill the japanese inspection test...

i was told it costs up to 400 bucks... but i havent done it yet ... because i had an adapter for a japanese tank to work with my double gauge system and i had a friend that wanted to use the tank for a high powered potato gun hahahahahahahahah

so he gave me money to cover the cost of the rented tank hahahahah

but seriously just take your tank up to the place between gate 3 and the closed gate of kadena and they will give you a price to have your tank tested... if your tank fails the test you cant use it... if it works then they will fill it for you and sell you an adapter for your tank to be filled at there shop...

again its just pricey from what i hear... but for all i know its only 400 yen... i had some one translating for me who isnt that good at translating... hahahahaha

but once you have an apporved tank... you can take it to pet box and they can refill it for you... you cant take it basically anywere that deals with fish or welding and have it filled...

CHAP... what gives... you didnt give me a heads up on the date you brewed... i would have loved to come by and helped... i love brewing hahahah

like i said earlier ... i will be brewing with in the next few weeks...

i am doing a crappy extract kit and i am doing an all grain imperial stout... which i am really nervous about doing... since i am just a novice (at best) and high alcohol beers are the easiest to fail hahahaha... worse comes to worse... i will just repitch it with bread yeast and let it age for a year ore three hahahahahaah

Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #36
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by licenseless View Post
CHAP... what gives... you didnt give me a heads up on the date you brewed... i would have loved to come by and helped... i love brewing hahahah

like i said earlier ... i will be brewing with in the next few weeks...

i am doing a crappy extract kit and i am doing an all grain imperial stout... which i am really nervous about doing... since i am just a novice (at best) and high alcohol beers are the easiest to fail hahahaha... worse comes to worse... i will just repitch it with bread yeast and let it age for a year ore three hahahahahaah
Man, I know, it was kind of spur of the moment. We were supposed to go snorkeling and that fell through so I grabbed my son and we knocked out 2 extract kits. I have an all-grain Stout kit and California Common plus an extract IPA that still need to be brewed. I just got some light malt in to make a starter and may be brewing this weekend... maybe.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #37
licenseless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well as soon as the two kits that are in the mail get here... should be around wednesday...

i am going to brew those... probably next saturday ... unless the weather is really good then i am going paintballing with some friends

Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #38
GetLooseontheGoose
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hey guys! just found this thread.

I will say I am not stationed in Okinawa, but know how it is overseas.

I have recently come back stateside from England.

Just a suggestion, maybe you guys should start a Homebrew Club there!

Goose

Conical:Red Chair Clone
Tapped: Bavarian Wheat, Crazy Train IIPA

Bottled: nothing

Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #39
joebrodie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I just bottled my Honey Brown Ale. That will be my 3rd batch I've ever done and it came out as 7.1% ABV. I am not into the forced carbonation yet, so I have to wait a few more weeks for the carbonation to occur. I am going to try a Blackstrap Molasses Root Beer (Non-alcoholic) next to see how that works.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #40
licenseless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrodie View Post
I just bottled my Honey Brown Ale. That will be my 3rd batch I've ever done and it came out as 7.1% ABV. I am not into the forced carbonation yet, so I have to wait a few more weeks for the carbonation to occur. I am going to try a Blackstrap Molasses Root Beer (Non-alcoholic) next to see how that works.
i have thought about making some sodas... like make my own... but i am not too sure how well that will go...

i thought about just making a sweet flavored drink and then carbonating it... and just keeping doing that until i find a drink flavor i like...

anyone got ideas on this hahahah

Quick Reply