Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Anyone in okinawa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #111
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm on Kadena (work on Courtney), if you ever want to stop by to brew or have a brew just let me know. Hopefully brewing a Barley Wine this weekend and a Dunkelweizen and IPA in the upcoming weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #112
blstr
Recipes 

Hey Chap is that an open invite??? I`m on Kadena to...let me know

Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #113
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blstr View Post
Hey Chap is that an open invite??? I`m on Kadena to...let me know
Definitely! I'll post when water is being heated

Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #114
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Brewing tomorrow (Monday) around noon. Haven't decided what I will be brewing (Barley Wine, Dunkelweizen, English IPA or IPA) but will definitely brew something. Porter, Stout and English IPA on tap... stop by have a brew and help brew. 9340C Jennings.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #115
blstr
Recipes 

Cr@p!!!! I`m always a day late and dollar short...next time I`m going to make it!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #116
HercDriver
Recipes 

Hey Guys,
I'm an all grain brewer moving to Futenma in about 5 months. Looking forward to fermenting on the other side of the world. I'm trying to figure out what things to move and what to leave and was wondering if you had any advice. I've already decided I'm leaving my homemade three-tier structure because it's too awkward to move with, but I'm taking the kettles and burners.

My biggest questions are:
What home brew equipment and ingredients can't be shipped there?
Should I take my 20# CO2 tank?
Do they have US style propane tanks out there?
How's the water quality out there? What should I bring to treat it?
Any legal ramifications I should know about?
Why isn't there a homebrew club?

Thanks, see you soon.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #117
loadtoad00
Recipes 

Welcome, you are going to love the island. Now, I haven't brewed in almost a year....new baby, still trying to get a routine before I get cracking again. But to answer some of your questions from my point of view. I haven't had any equipment or ingredients I couldn't ship here....from Midwest, they are the only distributor I have had luck with so far. 20# tank is fine if you get the adapter for Japanese tanks to get it filled at the gas co. You can also just rent tanks from liquor stores, your choice, still need the adapter to fit your american regulator. AAFES sells American propane tanks. I get my water filled at pay by the gallon filler stations on base. 25 cents/gallon for reverse osmosis. Legal ramifications??????It is "illegal" to brew anything over 1% here, but not enforced. I do not know of anyone who has gotten into any trouble, and if you are not selling, I am sure you will be fine. There is a homebrew club on facebook I do believe. I think....not sure. Okinawa Homebrewers may be it. Anyways, hope to see you around!

On Deck- Bigfoot Clone, Java Cream Stout

Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #118
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
My biggest questions are:
What home brew equipment and ingredients can't be shipped there?
Should I take my 20# CO2 tank?
Do they have US style propane tanks out there?
How's the water quality out there? What should I bring to treat it?
Any legal ramifications I should know about?
Why isn't there a homebrew club?
I get everything shipped from MoreBeer in SoCal no problem (haven't tried liquid yeast but some do)
I would leave the CO2 tank at home, the stores here won't refill it. There are a couple options for gas on island, but as loadtoad said, you will have to buy an adapter to fit US regulators. I rent a 12kg tank for my 3 tap keezer.
No worries about the propane. $19 per tank w/ a $20 deposit required for the first tank on base.
I use the same RO water loadtoad mentions plus I have a tap water filter if I don't make it to the water dispenser.
No legal worries.
Homebrew club is on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/229146713798200/ Okinawa Brewing Enthusiasts Entertainment and Recreation.

May want to reconsider the brew structure especially if you are used to it. Once you get settled in you will miss it! I've been here a year and a half and wish I had brought mine. Have rigged up a temp junk stand but it's not the same.

Let me know if you need any more info, look forward to sharing a homebrew with you.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #119
Rpwallace1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I also just arrived here on Okinawa (Kadena). I've been thinking about homebrewing for a few years now and finally just purchased some equipment to get me started.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #120
kasky99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadtoad00 View Post
Welcome, you are going to love the island. Now, I haven't brewed in almost a year....new baby, still trying to get a routine before I get cracking again. But to answer some of your questions from my point of view. I haven't had any equipment or ingredients I couldn't ship here....from Midwest, they are the only distributor I have had luck with so far. 20# tank is fine if you get the adapter for Japanese tanks to get it filled at the gas co. You can also just rent tanks from liquor stores, your choice, still need the adapter to fit your american regulator. AAFES sells American propane tanks. I get my water filled at pay by the gallon filler stations on base. 25 cents/gallon for reverse osmosis. Legal ramifications??????It is "illegal" to brew anything over 1% here, but not enforced. I do not know of anyone who has gotten into any trouble, and if you are not selling, I am sure you will be fine. There is a homebrew club on facebook I do believe. I think....not sure. Okinawa Homebrewers may be it. Anyways, hope to see you around!
Hey, I am stationed in Tokyo and wanted to know if you knew where I could find one of those Co2 adapters. Either one for the tank or one for the regulator, either way is fine. I have been looking for weeks but all I found was a place that rented out tanks, but not regulators. The problem being that my regulator is US standard.

Quick Reply