Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Anyone been to Oktoberfest in Munich?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
benko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Anyone been to Oktoberfest in Munich?

SWMBO and I are looking at a vacation to Germany next year after I get back from Iraq, probably in the late September timeframe. We'll be rolling through Munich (I'm definately going to the Brauerei Weihenstephan) and were considering checking out Oktoberfest. I'm just worried that it will be some mass-market, commercial, Six Flags-esque tourist bonanza, and am thinking about not even going. Squeezing my way through thousands of drunk tourists isn't my idea of fun (I understand the irony in this statement as I will also be a tourist, and more than likely drunk). I'd rather hit up some of the smaller, less commercial places (Bamberg breweries, for example). Is it worth going?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There are lots of smaller fests in Germany on the outskirts of Munich. Freising has a Volksfest and it's where Weihenstephan is located.

Freisinger Volksfest

Smaller, more gemütlich, and easier on the wallet.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Been to the O'fest at least a dozen times...yep, you described it to a "T"...

I worked in Bamberg for 5 years...check out Stadt Bamberg Weltkulturerbe und Wirtschaftszentrum: das Portal für Bürger, Wirtschaft & Tourismus sowie zentrale Plattform für die Region und den Wirtschaftsraum - die Site für alle Angebote in und um Bamberg.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Yep, everyone goes to the Oktobefest, except the Germans.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
benko
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's what I figured. I'll probably steer clear. On a related note. After we leave Munich, we're heading south to Garmisch. The army has a resort called the Edelweiss Lodge there that I've heard good things about. We plan on using that as a staging point for several day trips. I'm thinking Mittenwald, Innsbruck, and possibly Neu Schwannstein. Any other ideas for that area? Also, anybody been to Innsbruck?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
Beervana
Recipes 

Sorry to say I have never been there. Having said that I have heard a ton about it from my brother. He is in the 6th edition of his book, "The Beer Drinkers Guide to Munich". You can check out his website Beer Drinker's Guide to Munich

Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Neu Schwannstein is cool. Innsbruck is Ok, but a little closer (only 80 minutes by car) is a town called Kufstien. It has an old fortress that is great to tour. Loads of bed and breakfastes and not as touristy as Innsbruck. We'll go back there next time Here's a pic of the Burg and the River Inn.

Webcams in Tyrol : Kufstein Webcams

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post
SWMBO and I are looking at a vacation to Germany next year after I get back from Iraq, probably in the late September timeframe. We'll be rolling through Munich (I'm definately going to the Brauerei Weihenstephan) and were considering checking out Oktoberfest. I'm just worried that it will be some mass-market, commercial, Six Flags-esque tourist bonanza, and am thinking about not even going. Squeezing my way through thousands of drunk tourists isn't my idea of fun (I understand the irony in this statement as I will also be a tourist, and more than likely drunk). I'd rather hit up some of the smaller, less commercial places (Bamberg breweries, for example). Is it worth going?
I went to Oktoberfest for a week about 10 years ago and had a blast. By dinner time probably half the crowd was drunken tourists, especially if you go to the Spaten or Haufbrau tents. But the deal is this - they won't serve you a beer unless you're sitting at a table. And table reservations are sold out at least a year in advance. So pretty much the only way to get a beer is to walk up to a table full of revelers and ask if you can join their table. So this means that those drunken tourists are pretty soon your new best friends and you'll pretty soon find yourself arm in arm with a bunch of Austrians, or Danes, or Spaniards, etc., standing on the benches trying to out-polka the Bavarians. It was a pretty evenly mixed international crowd. Some of the tents are really more for the Bavarians, so if you want to surround yourself with a predominantly German crowd, you can do so.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 313 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 47

We took a day off skiing in the Italian Alps a few years ago and train tripped up to Innsbruck for the day. A very long day of travel for a very touristy city,but I'd go back again tomorrow.

Never been to Octoberfest, but I will be hosting the second annual HBT Masstoberfest again next fall. Not nearly as many drunk tourists and Kaiser is the only drunk German.

PTN

Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

...but you have to go to Schloss Neuschwanstein at least once...

p7300063x.jpg  

Quick Reply