Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Any homebrewers in the Kaiserslautern/Ramstein, Germany area?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #41
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey bud.. don't give up on bottles

Kegging has advantages.. but, you have to have a place to put the keg.. If you have a space.. great. You've seen my dorm refrigerator.. it'll hold two kegs.. or one keg and a CO2 bottle.. or creatively, 2 kegs and a small 5# cylinder.

I have put out a feeler to a supplier I work with to see if he has adaptors.. I doubt it.. but, ya never know.

I can think of a couple of options.. get an exchange from a gas company.. there must be a number of them, at least in the larger towns. You pay for the gas and put a deposit on the tank.. They simply exchange it when you need a new one. A 5# tank will last for about 4-5 kegs as I remember. You'll still need a regulator and hoses.. a party tap suffices until you want to convert the fridge to a kegerator. Or if you can find a dorm refrigerator.. there are many DIY's to convert it to a kegerator.. As you say EZPZ.

The other thought is to purchase a US type tank and have an European valve put in it.. However, that may/may not be an issue if the threads are metric.
Another is to look on Craigslist. I see them often here... especially the larger 20#. I've had mine forever and still has gas... or simply buy a used one at the gas place and sell it when you are ready to move. Should be easy, especially if you have a base newspaper.

I'll let you know what I find out. I'd ask around the base where they do welding, etc.. to see where they get their gasses.. and go there.

EDIT: In the meantime, I found THIS.. they are in England and use the same nuts, as I understand it, as the rest of Europe.. This may be by far, the simplest answer... All you'd have to do when you got home is to change the nut.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #42
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I am glad to see this thread is helping out guys in Germany! I was supposed to PCS there, but BIG ARMY thought differnet, guess putting the qualified guy in the position is a bit over rated......

So I am now in Kandahar by way of FT Carson.

If any of you get together and make a raod trip, there is great home brew store in Beverloo Belgium, should be about 3-4 hours I think from KMCC.

Brouwland

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1: Bitter End IPA
Ferm 2: Coffee Stout

On Deck: Colorado Common Cream Ale

Keg 1: House Amber Ale
Keg 2:

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 30

Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #43
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My dad was posted to Ramstein from 1983 to 1988. I seriously enjoyed living there. I recommend discovering Dortmonders & Kolsches.

When I pub crawled, I used to drink a lot of BBK and Bitberger-EX.

BTW, I was 14 when I was pub crawling there. So if you have kids, be on the lookout for that sort of behavior.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #44
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Well I'm here now. Finally found a place and set to be moving in on the 9th.

Looking for some equipment I couldn't take with me now. So where can I find a CO2 bottle? I guess I will buy a metric regulator from the online homebrew but they only have .5 kilo tanks and that just seems to small. I had a 20lb tank back in the states. What are my options here?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #45
chriswilkes33
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty25 View Post
Well I'm here now. Finally found a place and set to be moving in on the 9th.

Looking for some equipment I couldn't take with me now. So where can I find a CO2 bottle? I guess I will buy a metric regulator from the online homebrew but they only have .5 kilo tanks and that just seems to small. I had a 20lb tank back in the states. What are my options here?
CO2 tanks are the thing that has eluded me so far also. I planned to solve that issue when I got back next month. I did bring my 5 pound and 20 pound tanks with me, just not sure what to do about getting them filled or if they can be and I need to buy new ones or where to get them from.

I also want to find out where to get Weyermann malt in bulk, I assume the maltster will sell direct to the public as Best Malz does.

Broke down and ordered some 220 march pumps through morebeer despite the ridiculous shippng prices, apparently those guys havent heard of flat rate boxes. At least they ship to APO though. I hope to be up and brewing again by the middle of May. Having a bit of tough time deciphering the town water report too but that shouldnt cause too much trouble.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #46
Dirty25
Recipes 

The water thing is another obstacle for me to. The water seems pretty poor here. I am debating the callagon water jugs at the shoppet or just use the local water. A all grain batch is going to run through 8g at least of water so using the jug water would get expensive quick.

I don't believe your 20&5lb tanks would be able to be filled here, everything is metric but I could be wrong.

There is a place that sells sacks of grain https://www.hobbybrauerversand.de/ it's under Malz and then sackware. Not sure what shipping would be, if you figure out how to get bulk malt from wyerman I would be in for a 5 sacks or so

Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #47
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty25 View Post
I don't believe your 20&5lb tanks would be able to be filled here, everything is metric but I could be wrong.
Check the link in the note I sent my son in the above post #41. The nuts on the regulators can possibly be changed. I also found that there is a Linde gas supplier in the general area that might be able to help with nuts.

Should be a simple adaptation.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #48
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswilkes33 View Post
CO2 tanks are the thing that has eluded me so far also. I planned to solve that issue when I got back next month. I did bring my 5 pound and 20 pound tanks with me, just not sure what to do about getting them filled or if they can be and I need to buy new ones or where to get them from.

I also want to find out where to get Weyermann malt in bulk, I assume the maltster will sell direct to the public as Best Malz does.

Broke down and ordered some 220 march pumps through morebeer despite the ridiculous shippng prices, apparently those guys havent heard of flat rate boxes. At least they ship to APO though. I hope to be up and brewing again by the middle of May. Having a bit of tough time deciphering the town water report too but that shouldnt cause too much trouble.
As far as gas goes, I used PrimGaz in Belgium, they could work with american tanks.

Next time you need pumps, go with Chuggeer, they ship to APO, just have to call them, toplace the order. I could not have asked for more from a company!!!

I would see if you can get out out your March order....

TIm

Keg 2:

Old 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #49
Dirty25
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX1 View Post
As far as gas goes, I used PrimGaz in Belgium, they could work with american tanks.

Next time you need pumps, go with Chuggeer, they ship to APO, just have to call them, toplace the order. I could not have asked for more from a company!!!

I would see if you can get out out your March order....

TIm
you drove all the way to belguim to fill your tanks? Or is there a place close by that will fill tanks?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #50
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was living in Belgium, not sure if they have PrimeGaz there or not...sorry for the confusion.

I was suposed to PCS form Belgium to K-Town, and that fell through so I got stuck in Fort Carson...

Tim

Keg 2:

Quick Reply