The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Louisiana HomeBrew Forum > Micro Brewery's in the south

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
bhapnin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Micro Brewery's in the south

Headed on a road trip to New Orleans from Kansas City for our honeymoon. We don't have route planned and have talked about going as far out of the way as Charleston SC or Padre Island. We have 10 days to get there so I was hoping people in those regions could suggest some local haunts or off the beaten path brewpubs etc. Not looking for Gordon Bierch or chains just fun places that may be worth going a little out of the way. Beer flyfishing and camping are our hobbies so we will adjust quite a bit to accommodate any combo of those

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
ellisonsj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely check out Abita when you get to New Orleans. Also Yazoo is a cool little brewery in downtown Nashville. They charge $6 for the tour, but you get a branded pint glass to take home. Schafly is an easy stop in St. Louis. BBC in Louisville has a couple good brew pubs, though I don't think they have any organized tours. If you want a really good craft brew experience go farther north to Cleveland and do Beer School at Great Lakes.

These aren't really off the beaten path, though Yazoo and BBC aren't as well known nationally. Still, you'll get a good experience and some solid beer at any of them. I'm sure there's plenty more in between, but I know these are all good ones. Have fun on the trip!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 for Abita. Also Lazy Magnolia just across the river in Mississippi -- their Southern Pecan is one of my favorites. They only tour Saturdays @ 10:30 am though

If you come through Texas -- try Saint Arnold's in Houston, Southern Star in Conroe (just north of Houston)

Or just go to Austin and you'll have about a dozen breweries to check out

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
HitTheTwit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

New brewery there called NOLA, and I highly recommend them. I normally am never impressed by blonde ales, and they made the best I've ever had. Their dry Irish stout is pretty fantastic too!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
bhapnin
Recipes 

All awesome suggestions. We are narrowing it down to take a more eastern route. Looks like we are going to eureka springs Arkansas, Memphis, Nashville, Athens GA, then go down to panama city and follow the coast to NOLA. Yazoo made the list for sure and I've been pumped to hit Abita for a long time.
Keep em coming the plan for this trip is not to have a plan (other than be in New Orleans for my buddies wedding on the 1st.).

Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
HitTheTwit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just spent a year in Athens, and can recommend two places for you. They are both craft beer bars, and are well worth it. Trappeze pub has 26 taps and 250+ bottles and is easily one of the better craft beer bars on the East Coast.

Next up would be Aromas, in 5 points. It's the bar side of 5 points bottle shop, one of the best bottle shops in the SE part of the US. Aromas has 5-8 beers on tap, and is always a fun place to hang out. Be nice to the bartender, let 'em know you are on your honeymoon, and you'll probably get a beer or two for free.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Austin would probably be a good option. There are many brewpubs/breweries in town and I'm sure there are some camping areas close to town.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Agreed on Yazoo, Abita, and NOLA. NOLA's hopitoulas is one of my favorite locals. And abita's turbodog. Another option in southern louisiana is Tin Roof, which just opened last year in Baton Rouge. Their Voodoo Bengal Pale Ale is tasty.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
Austin would probably be a good option. There are many brewpubs/breweries in town and I'm sure there are some camping areas close to town.
Just keep in mind the burn ban. Haven't gone camping all year because of it
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
rbald42
Recipes 

If you decide on Charleston, definitely seek out a stop at Coast Brewing. World Class brews coming from them. Along the way I'd recommend Terrapin in Athens, Sweetwater (Atlanta) Jailhouse (Hampton). Terminal Brewhouse in Chattanooga is good. Good People Brewing in Birmingham. Lazy Magnolia in MS, and check out NOLA for sure. As far as bars and shops, Laura Alberts, and CBX in Charleston. Trappeze in Athens and 5 points bottle is the best shop in the state. Atlanta/ Decatur has Brick Store Pub ( a must) The Porter (another must) and Hop City. Downtown Decatur is beer heaven with many great pubs,restaurants and breweries. In Birmingham there's the J Clyde and Highland Package which are great.

Quick Reply