Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Missouri HomeBrew Forum > Springfield, MO recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Has Mother's improved over their initial product? I think they opened with four different beers and I tried them all when I was in Springfield. At that time I was under-whelmed but I've seen breweries open with sub-par product only to improve dramatically over the course of a year. I haven't gone back yet but I think they sell Mother's in Columbia. If you'll vouch then I'll pick some up. We have a place here called Broadway Brewery that opened with some of the worst on-tap beer I've ever had. They are making much better stuff now.

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
marteney1
Recipes 

They have several varieties now, and I'm a big fan. On the first friday of every month they do a firkin of a special recipe (kind of their way to experiment and get real-world feedback). They're always trying new recipes, and have, like, 15 different beers on tap at any given time.

On Deck:MS Winter Ale, MS Pumpkin Ale
Primary: Empty :(
Secondary:Empty :(
Bottled: Not a thing. I gotta get back brewing.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I really like Mother's. They have a brown ale 3 Blind Mice I think is real good. Their wheat beer and IPA are decent. Overall I'd say they are a pretty decent brewery. Better than some of the other small breweries in Missouri :cough O'Fallon, cough: Weston Brewery.

Not on par with Schlafly or Boulevard, but they haven't had the time to build like either of those 2. They have a good start though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
I really like Mother's. They have a brown ale 3 Blind Mice I think is real good. Their wheat beer and IPA are decent. Overall I'd say they are a pretty decent brewery. Better than some of the other small breweries in Missouri :cough O'Fallon, cough: Weston Brewery.

Not on par with Schlafly or Boulevard, but they haven't had the time to build like either of those 2. They have a good start though.
A while back, I was talking about breweries in Missouri with someone. We chatted about Weston Brewery's beers. Their comment was quite on the mark: "they're just WEIRD."

Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #15
GnarlyDudeBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Haven't had a chance to try the Mother's yet, but will soon. Springfield Brewing Co never did impress me, kinda had a metalic after-taste, per my palete. I always thought the brew at Bootleggers in Aurora, about 20mi. west was pretty tasty plus they try lots of new things.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

Mothers Brewing Co is great. I haven't had anything there I didn't like. They had a Cucumber Saison at the Parkville Microfest that was great. If you like coffee, try there winter grind!

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #17
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Winter Grind is Epic! i like the Lil' Helper IPA. they have several beers and do unique things with their specialty line. I hate paying $12 for a 4 pack, but man they have some good doubles!

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Quick Reply