Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Missouri HomeBrew Forum > Getting Married, Good excuse to brew beer, but (where) can I serve it? (MO)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Mista_Sparkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Getting Married, Good excuse to brew beer, but (where) can I serve it? (MO)

Hi all!

It'sbeen a while since I've been around, but I have a great excuse to brew lots of beer!

The problem is can I serve it? I know lots of people serve homebrew at the reception, but how may places actually allow this?

I'm looking for locations in the St. Louis area that would be open to homebrew and what kind of beers to serve, I'm thinking 3 or 4.

Thanks,

Mista

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Grinnan5150
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not sure what the laws are in Missouri but I would think he authorities would have to have a pretty big stick up their butt to rain on a couples parade on their wedding day. I think if you clear it with the reception hall you would be OK. It is not like you would be charging for it.

Try asking one of the St Louis area homebrew clubs. They would know more than me.

Hope that helps fish bulb.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I think you would be fine as long as the reception hall doesn't have some sort stipulation that you buy the alcohol through them.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

what Phunhog says. Mo is fine with it, the issue will come with the reception hall location. At my wedding, we were allowed alcohol as long as an officer was hired as a sort of watchman. It was a requirement of the hall. At an anniversary party I hosted for the in-laws at a different location, we were just required to pay an "Alcohol Deposit."

For most of the halls, beer is beer, and wine is wine. Unless it is required to be purchased through their caterer (which I've been to a few where that was/is the requirement) they could care less on who makes it, be it Schlafly, Boulevard, Budweiser, or yourself.

Although confirm with the hall first. As while I have not seen it with a Reception Hall yet, some may be "No Bottles" or "No Kegs". while a Corney is not exactly a 15 gallon Sankey.... Never know.

Going to a wedding here in 2 months which it is required to purchase through the caterer. who sells BMC cases for like $40. I think some of us are just going to party in the parking lot.

NOTE: it is ILLEGAL to sell beer w/o a licence. However, it is not illegal to sell an empty red Solo cup (cup needs to be empty at time of sale). Lessons learned from college parties.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I think you would be fine as long as the reception hall doesn't have some sort stipulation that you buy the alcohol through them.
I'm in Minnesota and getting married in September and have come across the same thing. In our research it all depended on the venue and whether or not you had to use their liquor distributor (or in-house bar, or whatever) or could bring in your own.

Some said yes, some said no. I think your best bet would be to find some venues you like first and then just call and ask.

-------------------
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
NOTE: it is ILLEGAL to sell beer w/o a licence. However, it is not illegal to sell an empty red Solo cup (cup needs to be empty at time of sale). Lessons learned from college parties.
I've got an arrest record that says otherwise. Spent 2 hours in Warrensburg, MO city jail trying that same thing in college. Selling alcohol without a liquor license. Class C felony. Was able to plead down to a Class A misdemeanor. $3,500 lawyer cost, $1,000 fine, $450 in "court costs". Never made $5,000 throwing a kegger, so its not worth it.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
bjohnson29
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Im in the exact same place as you (literally). Live in STL, wanted to serve beer at the wedding, but quickly found out its darn near impossible. We opted then to just ask the places we were looking into for a reversal dinner if ee could use the beer for a toast...most are agreeable if you ask nice enough...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

If they are balking at the idea because it is homebrew you could always put together a professional looking label. Say it is a gift from your cousin in CA who owns a brewery.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
WhtHawk
Recipes 

You might want to emphasize that you're not charging for your home brew or anything else for that matter. It is all free to anyone who can legally consume it. I have a friend who got married, had their reception in NW Missouri, and served several kegs of home brew plus some commercial wines. Their venue had no problem with it.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bartended weddings back in college on summer and winter break at the Holiday Inn at Lindbergh and 55. We allowed outside alcohol, but we charged a corking fee. I knew a few people at other banquet halls, hotels, etc., and they all had pretty much the same rule. They don't care what they serve as long as they're getting their cut.

Like others have said, the only real way to know is to call up the places you're interested in and see what their policy is. You don't even have to say it's homebrew. Just say you'll have a couple kegs of special beer you'd like to serve. For all they know, a friend is bringing in a keg of a regional beer we can't get here. The only caveat is that the kegs will have to have sanke taps in order for them to use them.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Quick Reply