The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Missouri HomeBrew Forum > Anyone in mid missouri?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
wmcc75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Columbia has two options. One is hyvee on conley road has a small selection of dme and kits, decent selection of specialty grains. Pretty good hop lineup. Only dry yeast at this time but said they were wanting to get liquid yeast in, however any dry yeast i've needed is in stock. They have an ok selection of brewing equipment. Having said all that its a small area in the liquor dept so I'm pleased with it plus stuff is usually pretty fresh. Prices are very reasonable. Bocomo bay is another option. They have a larger stock of everything, but not as fresh and i've noticed sometimes the date stickers get pasted over with new later date stickers. They do have wyeast smack packs (last time I was in there it was awhile ago so not sure if that's still the case). The prices are jacked up at bocomo bay and it is also a head shop so that's a big turn off for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
midmobrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the tip i will check out hy-vee next time i go to como. I heard about bocomo but i thought it was closed due to their legal issues they currently have.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
wmcc75
Recipes 

Bocomo bay very well may be closed. Once I discovered hyvee has hb supplies I haven't gone back to bocomo bay, to be honest I never liked them, but thought if you needed brew equipment you could use them, and they had/have(?) more base grain and extract. I would stick to hyvee.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Hy-Vee has homebrew supplies? Hm, I need to check the Hyvees around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 01-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
wmcc75
Recipes 

Yes sir its not the biggest selection but low prices and good product.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
midmobrewer
Recipes 

At least its something though....

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
nstnate
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm just west of warrensburg. Finding supplies away from kc or st Louis is a little tuff. I have got to where I keep a supply of anything I might need on hand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #18
HinksonCreekBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello, midmobrewer. I live in Columbia but rarely buy locally. Every time I call either HyVee or Bocomo Bay they don't have what I am looking for. I usually end up ordering from Northern Brewer or High Gravity Brewing. Both have excellent selection and service and quick shipping. Happy brewing!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #19
ftlstrings
Recipes 

I, and several others are here in kirksville or Macon. We have started a club (KGB, kirksville guild of brewers) here in kirksville, a bit if a drive I know, but we're here if you have any questions!

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
Rkoory
Recipes 

Hello to all Central Mo brewers. I'm a Jefferson City Resident myself, but I am in Columbia quite often as that is where my office is located.

And yeah, BoCoMo is quite sketch. I think the proprietor was recently incarcerated due to a side business involving the distribution of artificial marijuana.

HyVee is ok if you are in a pinch, but I generally avoid them as their selection is quite small, and I'm about 95% sure that the last can of extract that I purchased there was about 2 years past expiration.

Your best bet for supplies is to plan well ahead, and order. Lucky for me my brother in-law is one of my co-brewers and he lives in StL. Other than than Midwest and Northern Brewer are my two major suppliers.

I recently went all grain and have become quite accustomed to purchasing the 50lb sacks of base malt when im in StL. If all you need to order are the specialty grains, hops and yeast then the price of shipping isn't too bad.

My advice if you are going to be a mid Mo brewer, move to all grain as fast as is reasonable, plan ahead, and buy in bulk.

Cheers.

Quick Reply