Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Texas HomeBrew Forum > Rockwall, Fate, Royse City area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
t3e871
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexan View Post
Do you harvest your own yeast? That is something else I am really interested in.
I have a fridge full of mason jars that have several different strains; but they are all several month old now. I saved and washed the yeast from all of my brews last winter. I could probably revive them and step up starters if I wanted to. But I just can't brew often enough to use them. I would like to get into freezing some yeast to keep longer term.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
WTexan
Recipes 

I have been reading on yeast and still can't get my mind wrapped around it. I was looking at beersmith the other day and my saison I'm going to brew next week calls for two yeast packs.
What can I do to get the most out of the yeast I'm using now. I'm going to use a wayeast saison.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
t3e871
Recipes 

Personally I would just pitch one smack pack - if it's fresh.

Beersmith uses a calculation to figure the optimum pitch rate for your batch..you can also look at www.mrmalty.com and use the calculator there. Fresh smack packs and vials have about 100 billion cells. This is perfect for a normal strength, 5 gallon batch. If you are going with higher gravity beer, you'd want to use more yeast.

To get the cell count up you could use a starter. Boil some DME, add a pinch of yeast nutrient, cool and pitch your yeast. Shake it around everytime you walk by for 12-24 hours before brewing - or use a stir plate.

For most all of my beers I make 1 liter or 2 liter starters with 100g DME per 1000ml water and set it on a stirplate for about 18 hours before pitching into my batch. But before I got my flasks and stirplate I just used single vials or smack packs of yeast into all of my 5g batches - with good results.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
gbeer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

I'm in Irving. That's also what I do with my yeast too. I dont have a stir plate (expensive) or a flask. I have several glass containers (pasta sauce, jelly, etc) that have been washed, washed, washed and sanitized several times to eliminate any odor. So with my starters I shake the glass container everytime I walk by... I try to do it for at least 24 hours sometimes 2 or 3 days before pitching...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
Locorcr
Recipes 

I'm in Wylie and don't brew as much as i would like to... oh and on top of that harley is down....

Chris AKA:nOOB brewer

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS