Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Texas HomeBrew Forum > Jester King Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #21
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3354 Times on 3096 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Sounds like Midway in Denton. It's a craft beer store disguised as a gas station.

tx-brewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
knelson13A
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'll be in Austin this weekend, might have to check it out. My folks live near Bee Cave, and it doesn't look that far from there.

Bottled - AHS Smoked Porter, Charge 8 Imperial IPA, Magic Hat #9 Clone, Enzo English Ale (ESB)
On deck - Lemon-Lime Hefe, All-grain version of my IIPA
tx-brewer Likes This 
Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #23
knelson13A
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Sounds like Midway in Denton. It's a craft beer store disguised as a gas station.
I work in Denton and have never heard of this place. I must give it a visit!
Bottled - AHS Smoked Porter, Charge 8 Imperial IPA, Magic Hat #9 Clone, Enzo English Ale (ESB)
On deck - Lemon-Lime Hefe, All-grain version of my IIPA

Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #24
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 596 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 1693

I was in South Austin yesterday helping my brother move, and found myself with about an hour to kill, so I rode my motorcycle out to Jester King for a quick look around. I didn't have time to go on the brewery tour, or even to hang out and drink a little bit, but I bought a few bottles to try out. Normally I find breweries to be a little boring (you've seen one shiny SS tank, you've just about seen 'me all), but JK seemed like a pretty cool place. Tons of people hanging out outside, drinking, listening to live blues music, eating pizza from the restaurant on site... I'm definitely going back some time for a longer visit.

After spending several hours in the hot sun moving heavy furniture, my brother and I decided a celebratory drink was in order... We ended up draining all three bottles I had bought, $46 worth of beer.

First was RU55, the sour red. We found it to be VERY tart. I liked it, but it was probably my least favorite of the three.
Next was Funk Metal, a sour barrel-aged stout. This was our favorite. The toasty stout flavors balanced the tartness well.
Last was Das Wunderkind, a saison. Probably my favorite saison I've had to date. Very refreshing.

I can't wait to go back.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #25
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3354 Times on 3096 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I've been to Central Market, World Market and Specs; all my go to places for JK. It's hen's teeth. CM said JK is no longer selling to them. The others had only one variety. I'll try a bigger Specs.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #26
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
I've been to Central Market, World Market and Specs; all my go to places for JK. It's hen's teeth. CM said JK is no longer selling to them. The others had only one variety. I'll try a bigger Specs.
About a month back JK switched distributors to Flood. I know they stopped selling to my HEB at that time and HEB pretty much just sold off their remaining stock. I got word last week that Flood is now going to start distribution to HEB so Central Market should see some replenishment of their JK stock in the future. I'm hoping to see some rarer beers instead of the regulars. Fingers crossed!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 04-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #27
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 130

FYI, HEB Pearland still has Noble King, Mad Meg, and Commercial Suicide.

For those Mad Meg nay-sayers, let the bottle breath a little before pouring (or let it sit in your glass some). I had Mad Meg on Day 1 and thought it was awful. I "re-capped" my bottle and had the rest on Day 2 and thought it was REALLY good! So weird! Just an FYI.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #28
Thakaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Their rare stuff doesn't see any distribution, the seasonals see limited distribution and are generally sold out within a day or two. Flood seems to hit D&Q pretty often with seasonal releases, and Brandon always tweets out when new bottles hit his store.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #29
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 365

Going to be there this weekend with a buddy who's visiting Austin. Will be my 2nd time out there. Looking forward to trying their newest - Hibernal Dichotomous.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
MC_McMic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make sure to try the pizza place on-site if you go to Jester King. It's really good.

I'm a huge Jester King fan. I've been there 4 or 5 times already, and we may go back again this weekend. Their brewery/ranch is beautiful, their beers are awesome, and I appreciate the way they brew beer and their activism in regards to distribution and local laws. However, I do get somewhat confused and frustrated with their production at times.

One of my absolute favorite beers, Boxer's Revenge, disappeared from store shelves a while back. Then it disappeared from the brewery menu. Now it appears to be back on a limited release basis (or at least it was). Same with RU55, which both my wife and I like a lot.

I understand that they're a small brewery trying to do things naturally "the right way," but it's getting hard to predict what they will have on tap when and even harder to predict what they will release to who in terms of making their products available in stores.

Quick Reply