Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Texas HomeBrew Forum > How do fellow Texans control temp during fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #31
BrewinBromanite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Found the pics. It's an old Beverage Air. The pics aren't the best, but you can kind of see how comfortably it fits 4 fermenters. It also opens from the top & the front (not shown in the pic), which is nice for lifting heavy fermenters in and out.

image-2827115248.jpg

image-2721680654.jpg

Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
TylerAI
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
Craigslist fermenter fridge + STC-1000. Craigslist upright lagering/cold-crash freezer + STC-1000.

No worries.
+1. Talked friend out of an old fridge he didn't use and a cheap controller. Less than $50.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #33
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm not only in Texas, but am in South Texas. This means when the rest of the state is hot, we're hotter and when the rest of the state is cold, we're still hot. My choice is brew in warm weather or hot as hell weather.

I use the swamp cooler and put it in a closet that is fairly steady in temperature. Because I do double batches I need space for two fermenters at once. I use a large gray tub purchased from Walmart. I put the two fermenters into it, pour water into the tub up the around the level of the wort and then float frozen water jugs in the water to pull it down further. I change the number of these the the duration according to the temperature I am looking for. It can be a pain in the butt, but it gives me an excuse to check on my beer. I think the total investment was around $20.

Here is a picture:
2013-03-16-06.59.12.jpg

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #34
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Right now I have a rauchbock fermenting at 54F in my fermentation box, that's the coldest I've ever tried but I think it could go colder if I wanted. Once it got stable the AC only comes on for a few minutes at a time.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #35
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm currently converting a chest freezer into a combo keezer/fermentation chamber.
It's a used freezer I found on craigslist.

I built a little 2-plug control box with a project box and an STC-1000.
I'm adding a 1x8 cherry collar and starting with two taps.
I'm going to attach the collar to the lid.

I have a feed bucket and aquarium heater that I'll use for my fermentation.
I'll keep the keezer temp at 45F (or whatever drinking temp I want for the kegs), and I'll set the aquarium heater to whatever fermentation temp I want (+/- a few degrees depending on stage of fermentation).

I'm trying to take some photos as I go, and I'll put up a thread for my build in case that helps someone else.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #36
thisisbeer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Craigslist chest freezer with a STC-1000 total investment around $120.00. It keeps the beer pretty close to the temp I wont depending on the stage fermentation. If I set it at 64 during the first part of fermentation it will keep the beer at 67 than I raise it a degree after three days until I get to 67 and the beer temp never changes. I have one probe in the carboy to a digital display outside the freezer. My probe for the STC-1000 hangs in the air inside the freezer. I know most people tape the probe to the side but I think this is the more accurate.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #37
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finished up my keezer and go it up and running with a keg of Janet's Brown Ale and a 1/6 barrel of Alaskan Amber from Spec's (I have a sanke coupler).

Fermented the Janet's at 65F in my keezer/fermentation chamber. It's early but it tastes great.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #38
shanewheel
Recipes 

Inside the house we usually keep the temp in the high 70's, and I've been able to get my glass carboy down to 70-71 by just wrapping a wet towel around it, and down into the 60's by pointing a fan at the wet-wrapped carboy during the hottest part of the day. It's cheap and it works. Can't exactly lager that way, though.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #39
knelson13A
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm on my second batch fermenting now, and I'm doing a swamp cooler setup on it. I've got a large rubbermaid-type tub in an extra upstairs bathroom, with water filled to around the level of the wort. I've also got a moisture-wicking t-shirt soaked in water over the top of the carboy (plastic from NB) Rotating frozen water bottles before I leave for work, when I get home, and when I go to bed, and it's keeping the wort around 62-66.

This is upstairs, where we rarely go, so the A/C is off all the time. It's not nearly as hot up there as it was a month or two ago, of course, but it's still in the mid to upper 80s during the day.

Bottled - AHS Smoked Porter, Charge 8 Imperial IPA, Magic Hat #9 Clone, Enzo English Ale (ESB)
On deck - Lemon-Lime Hefe, All-grain version of my IIPA

Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #40
jeuentes
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a fridge with just an analog controller. Easy peasy. 100 for fridge. 55 for controller. I do small batch beers.

img_20131004_184412.jpg   img_20131004_184431.jpg  

Kegged in the Kezzer: Water
Kegged in the Kezzer: Imperial Chocolate Stout
Kegged in the Kezzer: English Bitter
Primary:
Primary:
Primary:
Primary:
Primary:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottle conditioning: