Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Texas HomeBrew Forum > DFW - Brew Riot 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
Chimbley_Sweep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanzorro View Post
I didn't get much of a chance to leave my booth, so I didn't see many others. Didn't realize someone here was for Neck Tie. I was across the street at Zreet St.
I was one of the guys with Necktie Brewery. We definitely talked. I had the handlebar moustache going, so I'm assuming you remember me. Great to meet other brewers in the real world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #32
Chimbley_Sweep
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpam View Post
was a lot of fun guys! i am trooper brewing
If I remember correctly, you guys had the Jabba the Wit. Nice job on that one.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #33
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbley_Sweep View Post

I was one of the guys with Necktie Brewery. We definitely talked. I had the handlebar moustache going, so I'm assuming you remember me. Great to meet other brewers in the real world.
Yep! I definitely remember you. Next year I'm going to have more helpers so I can go around and talk to more of the other brewers.

Is there any other festival like this in Texas? I had a blast and don't want to wait a year to do it again.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: Assassyn IIPA (Odell's Myrcenary clone)
Bottle: Battering Ram Belgian Golden Strong Ale

holy Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #34
Lotterywinner73
Recipes 

Forgive the big post but this is my wrap up of the day.

As someone new to home brewing only friends have tried my beers and they all seem to like it. I bought some cornies from a guy in Lakewood (shame I can't remember his name) and he told me about brew riot. I told my wife about and she talked me into entering. She had a logo made, ordered some stickers and made shirts for all our friends who were going. She even talked my parents into flying in for it from South Carolina and her sister from Tampa.

Living just 2 blocks away I have seen margarita festivals and what not where teams run out real quick. I figured I would take 3 kegs (a czech pilsner, blonde ale and a hard cider) so I could last all day and have a chance at the peoples choice vote at least. So I go ahead and sign up, get some batches kegged and ready. The day of the festival I walk down with my dog to get my spot. Stacey tells me I am in 13 and it is up on seventh street. I follow the numbers and end up caddy corner to the stage. I was thinking man this is a primo spot. I look over and there is a group setting up 2 oak barrel kegerators with multiple taps on each and I tell my dog, "looks like we are in for a long day."

So my dad and I get all my stuff setup and as more teams file in I realize my 3 beers are nothing. There were tons of cool setups. I didn't get to go around and talk much since I was a one man show up until game time.

At 4 my wife and her friends roll up and people start coming in. I start pouring and all my stuff appears overcarbed! I start freaking out then turn the regulator down to 4 psi and everything settles out. Me and a friend are pouring left and right and everyone is saying how good my stuff is. It was making my day! Not getting a lot of tokens but to here people say they liked my beer was reward enough. I met a lot of people and talked to quite a bit from my street, just a couple over. After an hour and a half the blonde keg floated. That was quickly followed by the pils and the hard cider. By 6pm we were out of brew and just amazed at how cool everything was.

I went and asked the staff if I should turn in my tokens and if I needed to stay, thinking I saw more tokens in others containers. They said I could or I could just close down the table and hang out. We decided on the later with everyone else going around sampling others beers and just hanging out. At about 7 the wife and everyone left, but at that point my dad and I wanted to stay and see who won the popular vote.

As they started reading out who one on the ales they red about a little red rooster and I got excited, our name was Cockeyed Brews and we had a metal rooster on our table. Then I realized he was talking about someone else and I just laughed. Then came specialty beer category and they read off Hazel's Hand Grenade as second place!!! That was my stuff!!!! Holy cow I started to walk up to see if I got a ribbon or anything but I couldn't see anyone passing anything out. I walked back to our booth as they went over Belgian and French and IPAs. I decided to walk back up front just to see if there was a ribbon and as they were reading out Lagers I heard CP3.0 first place!!!! Another one of my beers!!!! I couldn't believe it and I asked Stacey if he just called my beer and she said yup. She handed me a wooden plaque and we took a couple pictures. I asked her if I got a ribbon or anything for second and she said no, but at that point nothing mattered!

I never would have thought I would place even 1 of my beers but to get 2. Oh man. There was a victory cheer as I walked into my backyard, where all my supporters had retired to earlier for more of my beverages.

It was such a blast, even had I not won anything the day was long but super fun. Everyone I know had a great time. I did get to talk to a couple different people about there beers after we were out so that was cool.

All I can say is thank you to Go Oak Cliff and can't wait for next year!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #35
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Anyone else get the scores back already? I averaged a 32.2 on my Milk Stout. For my first competition, I'm pretty proud! It was obvious which judges were professionals and which weren't though. I definitely have a few improvements to make.

Does anyone know who East Fork Brewing was? They won the Sweet Stout category and I want to know how close I was.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: Assassyn IIPA (Odell's Myrcenary clone)
Bottle: Battering Ram Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #36
Lotterywinner73
Recipes 

Just got mine back today.

Cider scored 37, 41, 44, 47 and took second place in category.
Blonde Ale scored 26, 29
Czech Style Pilsner scored 43, 43, 29, 28. I think the second bottle was bad as it got noted for being a green bottle causing it to skunk? I didn't know a bottle would cause it to skunk, but I am thinking I must not have got it cleaned all the way. This did win the lager category though.

Overall this sparked my interest in brewing and I intend on entering all the Texas based BCJP judged events just to keep check on what I am doing.

Quick Reply