Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Texas HomeBrew Forum > CO2 tank refill - Houston Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Default CO2 tank refill - Houston Area

There are wielding supply and fire extinguishers shops on every corner of Houston but few have beverage grade CO2. I live in the Clear Lake area and the only places that I have been able to find is Paxair in Deer Park (hwy225) and Airgas on the south loop. Neither has good service and Airgas has recently doubled their prices for walk in customers. ($30 for 20lbs). Last time I went to Paxair it took them a week to fill my cylinder; 3 days at Airgas.

Yesterday I did a cylinder exchange at Airgas for the first time. They were actually pretty friendly this time. Before I got home, however, the pop-off on the tank blew and dumped the entire cylinder. I am going to demand a new cylinder today, I will let you know how it goes.

Have any of you had similar issues?
Where do you guys fill your CO2 in the Houston Area?
Are there any places that still sell blends to walk in customers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Was B&S completely out of CO2 again? I filled my tank there when I lived in League City. There's a propane fill shop on 146 just south of NASA. I've asked him about CO2 and he does exchanges too. If you don't want to go to B&S you could give him a try. I can find the name and number if need.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I didn't know B&S did refills; I will try there next time.
The guy at the propane shop on 146 cannot fill a 20lb bottle last that I checked; I get my propane filled there often so I will check back.

It took 3 trips total to get my CO2 filled at air gas, I would rather not go there again...

Thanks

Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
barrooze
Recipes 

Definitely call ahead before heading to B&S. They've been "out" of CO2 and could only fill my 10# tank to ~2# on a couple occasions.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23

Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yikes, at that rate it will take you 5 trips to fill it at B&S!

I am still surprised that it is this difficult in Houston; Beergas was great before Airgas bought them out and closed the doors.
Hoping that someone on the forum has a good local gas shop with reasonable pricing.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
barrooze
Recipes 

Have you tried DeFalco's? They've never led me wrong and actually seem to always have CO2 to fill my tank! What a concept!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
stiltz
Recipes 

I'm a little late to the thread but i recently moved to Richmond and had to find C02..

Praxair in Rosenburg fills them.

I read on an earlier post something about "beverage grade c02"? Whenever i've had my tank filled ( in CA ) there was never mention of that.

Can someone shed some light on that?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Like most commercial and industrial gasses, C02 is refined from Natural Gas as a byproduct of ammonia and hydrogen production.
So it contains some other nasty gases that have to be scrubbed out. Industrial grade commonly used to create dry ice or fire a paintball gun undergoes a lesser degree of filtration than that of a beverage or medical grade gas designed to be ingested.
There is a thread on here somewhere that a few gas guys have gone through greater detail of explaining the difference between grades.
Some fill stations only dispense beverage grade and will purge your tank of impurities before filling it with a beverage grade product.

Quick Reply