Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Texas HomeBrew Forum > Big Texas Beer Fest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

His review was for the Austin Beer Festival on March 30.
I was there too and have to say that it was pretty bad. But, I went with my brother-in-law and the girls went to get their nails done, so they dropped us off. Didn't have to pay for parking, but still thought that was a ripoff.
We also didn't show up until 4:30 and the crowd/lines got much better after that. Still, probably the worst run beer festival.
They had plenty of room to spread out the tents, it they were all squished together. Horrible...
They didn't even have a hand out with the locations of the breweries. I had wanted to try the Hop Rye Ale from Bear Republic... I couldn't even find them. With over 500 beers available, you'd think that they would give you a map or something.
I'm a fan of 10 Years, who played at 8:15. That was probably the best part of the day -- the rock band -- at a beer festival....

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” -- Ben Franklin

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Let's hear it people: how was the Dallas version?

After seeing these reviews of the Austin event and what happened with Dallas Beer Week last fall I don't have great expectations for the organization. (Is paid parking that big of a deal? In Dallas, you pay to park pretty much anywhere you go.) The Houston and Austin events have some rough yelp reviews. I hope they got their act together for the event last weekend.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Dallas beer fest was great overall. They had some small problems, but overall it was awesome.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
FunkytownBrewyard
Stan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

A few links to reviews of the fest by folks that can write much better than me, and well written/solid reviews:

dallas observer

examiner.com

I thought the fest was outstanding.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #15
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3588 Times on 3274 Posts
Likes Given: 532

The Dallas Observer told it well.

We got there about 1pm and it took about 30 minutes to get in. The line was long. They had to check ID on everyone since it was a 21 and over event. Platinum Security did a great job moving people and one of their line handlers was hilarious. That helped.

Once inside, the lines to get extra beer cards, $2 for 12 more samples, moved really fast. Your first 12 samples and the sample cup were included in the price of admission. The sample cup was plastic, but not a chincy Jello shot cup.

Lines at the booths weren't too bad. Some much longer than others. They moved fairly well and each booth had 2 or more people pouring. I forget how many booths there were or how many beers we had. It was a lot.

The food truck situation was terrible. The potato truck ran out pretty quick, leaving only the hot dog and pizza truck to serve the crowd. The potato guys did say they baking more on the spot. According to the Dallas Observer, there was supposed to be more trucks, but they backed out at the last minute. Somebody was selling pretzels. After trying the trucks twice though, we opted to eat elsewhere after the fest.

The live bands were good. Kinda hard to hear over the crowd unless you were right there.

The crowd itself was awesome. No jerks. I wore sandals and didn't get my toes stepped on. We didn't get our beers knocked over. A down right civil bunch.

All in all, it was pretty good. A bit simple though. There could have been some guest speakers, some reps from the breweries talking about their beers on separate platforms around the event and displays. They probably learned a lot and we'll make plans to go again if they do it next year.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
HopToItHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like the Dallas festival went MUCH better than the Austin one, but I'm pretty sure it's different folks running it anyhow. I'm looking forward to making next years in Dallas. Thanks for the update fellas

Clem Villars
Hop To It Homebrew LLC
105 North HWY 281
Johnson City, TX 78636

Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
FunkytownBrewyard
Stan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToItHomebrew View Post
...but I'm pretty sure it's different folks running it anyhow.
Absolutely different folks running the BTBF. Not that they need it, but Chad and Nellie (the couple that ran BTBF) are 1) good people with solid business minds, 2) superb beergeeks, and 3) very keen on nailing all of the details that are needed to run one of these. Basically, they tried to emulate GABF in setup and function as much as reasonable, though obviously on a *much* smaller scale. I'd say for their first shot at it, they win. Sharp folks, and thankfully, can throw a hell of a beerfest.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
freddyj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Anyone going to the Big Texas Brewfest next month?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
knelson13A
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Bumping for this year's festival. Beer list released over the weekend. Anyone else going? The wife and I got VIP tickets, so we'll be there for the early entry at 1pm!

Kegged - Willy Pete Wheat, D30 Russian Imperial Stout
Bottled - Magic Hat #9 Clone, Pumpkin Spice Saison
On deck - St. Bernardus Abt 12 Clone

Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would be there but a friend is getting married. Probably a dry wedding too ...

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: N/A
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

Quick Reply