The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Oklahoma HomeBrew Forum > Water help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Exactly why I haven't sent off another sample. I use so little of my tap water anymore that I just use the #s from my original report to give me an idea what to expect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #12
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I just got my results back. Now I know why my stouts never turn out quite right but my pales are top notch:

pH 7.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 505
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.84
Cations / Anions, me/L 7.8 / 7.9
ppm
Sodium, Na 89
Potassium, K 6
Calcium, Ca 60
Magnesium, Mg 10
Total Hardness, CaCO3 192
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.9 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 63
Chloride, Cl 111
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 47
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 39
Total Phosphorus, P 0.08
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

This is after passing through a 2 stage filter. I'm not a hop head and most of what I make are lighter low gravity beers so this actually works quite well for me. When I make darker beers I'll adjust accordingly. The problem of never knowing what lake your water is coming from still exists. I'm going to send an email to the water co asking where my water was coming from when I took my sample, just to have that info.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Yeah. And it's usually feast or famine around here. With all the rain we've had this year, chances are that just because they draw it from one lake this summer, doesn't mean they'll draw it from the same source this time next year.

I finally went with mostly if not all distilled water and Tasty McDole's 2 water profiles. He has a hoppy profile and the one he uses for everything else. Those have served me well the last few batches.

Now, knowing what your water looks like generally, you should be able to use one of the spreadsheets or online tools to either treat your undiluted water, it cut it with distilled and build it back with salts to your liking.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
mkyl428
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did hear back from my water company and they told me my water was a mixture from Overholser and Draper.... they said it would normally be a mix from overholser and hefner i think but that Hefner was not supplying water at that time b/c the lake was low.... So it does change from lake to lake and even if it didn't i don't know that the mineral levels are constant so i have been using distilled or RO and this http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

Quick Reply