Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Oklahoma HomeBrew Forum > Moving to Norman, OK

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
funke910
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Welcome to Norman

By the looks of some of the previous threads, Norman wouldn't make any of their top 10 lists. I live in Norman and its just fine.

Liquor Store - Cellar has the most number of beers but 'Joe's' has (12th and Alameda) has more of a changing selection. I tend to go there more for harder to find stuff, new releases or season al's.

Bar - As stated above McNellie's is a great place to go. Has 25? handles and about 17-18 rotate each month. Also, a huge bottle list. They have pint night on Mondays and host beer dinners on a fairly regular basis. The 'Library', which is right across from the OU campus is a hidden gem. its very small but they have a great selection of craft brew on tap.

There are plenty more in both categories but after spending a while here in college and now working here, these are the ones I frequent the most.

Brew Pub - you're kind of luck with brewpubs in OK in my opinion. We have the 3.2 law here and no alcohol that is brewed and served on premises can have higher than a higher than 3.2 alcohol. So, the beers here at brewpubs seem a bit watered down and don't have the alcohol content that the different styles generally have. Coaches, as mentioned above is closed. There is a place called Das Boot, which gets its beer and is owned (I think) by 'Royal Bavaria' in Moore. I've never been to Das Boot, but Royal Bavaria is great and i've been told they are the same menu.

If you like brewing with other people, let me know. It's always nice to meet other local people in the hobby. There are also a few good home brew shops and home brew clubs. The OKC beer scene is not Denver or anything like that, but there are a couple good and active breweries here and the craft beer community is growing steadily!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #12
njenabnit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Das boot does have the same menu, but at a fraction of the price! And a beer special with your student ID.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
acarter5251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njenabnit View Post
Das boot does have the same menu, but at a fraction of the price! And a beer special with your student ID.
Awesome! I walked by there the other day. I'll have to check it out!

Quick Reply