Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Colorado HomeBrew Forum > Local 12 beers of Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #71
Option
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes thats what I was thinking also. I want to make it work and be involved in future swaps!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #72
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The afternoon of the first works for me.

Count me as another brewer who is glad that we ended up capping at 10. I discovered that my auto siphon was cracked while I was cleaning it, so I had to siphon the old fashioned way. Attempted to answer the phone while siphoning, lost my siphon, and by the time I realized what had happened, there was no way to get it started without kicking up a whole lot of trub.

Good news is that I got 40 bottles on the nose, so everyone is covered.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #73
Sinkman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am working on the 1st, but I can either ask my wife to drop bottles off or try to get a personal day. Strange sounds great. I have never actually been there.

As for the beer, I added my spice tincture last week. Time to carb up and get it ready to bottle. Smells great right now!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #74
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I might have missed it, but what is the bottle count we are doing for each person? I typically dont bottle so I just want to make sure I bottle enough of this up so that everyone gets their amount.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #75
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v View Post
I might have missed it, but what is the bottle count we are doing for each person? I typically dont bottle so I just want to make sure I bottle enough of this up so that everyone gets their amount.
3 each
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #76
Hernando
Recipes 

Question for those with experience with bigger beers; the quad is sitting at 1.030. this puts the ABV at 10.2 %. I was expecting the gravity to be a bit lower than what it is but I am not sure if the 1.030 is a normal FG for a big beer or if I should go by some fresh yeast do a starter and repitch. Since this is my fisrt beer with this magnitude Iwould love some insight. If it is ready than I will bottle that bad boy this week.

The tasting was pretty good. A bit sweeter than expected but the alcohol is definitely present. I did by EC-1118 Champagne yeast for bottling. I am not sure on how much to reconstitute and pitch before bottling so I would also appreciate feedback on that as well.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #77
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
3 each
Cool. Thanks.

Should give me 'just' enough to enjoy some leftovers

With the bigger beer, you could try moving it to a warmer spot or maybe gently swirling the fermenter to rouse the yeast. 1.030 seems a tad high. Most of my bigger beers (10%+) have usually ended down in the 1.025 or lower ranger.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #78
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v View Post
Cool. Thanks.
Should give me 'just' enough to enjoy some leftovers
I had 4 stuck in my head, glad it is 3. Turned out I had nothing to sweat about when the bottle wand started slowing down on beer 39. Sweet, now I get to make sure that they carbonate properly.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #79
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
Question for those with experience with bigger beers; the quad is sitting at 1.030. this puts the ABV at 10.2 %. I was expecting the gravity to be a bit lower than what it is but I am not sure if the 1.030 is a normal FG for a big beer or if I should go by some fresh yeast do a starter and repitch. Since this is my fisrt beer with this magnitude Iwould love some insight. If it is ready than I will bottle that bad boy this week.

The tasting was pretty good. A bit sweeter than expected but the alcohol is definitely present. I did by EC-1118 Champagne yeast for bottling. I am not sure on how much to reconstitute and pitch before bottling so I would also appreciate feedback on that as well.
I assume you are using Mosher's tripel recipe form Radical, and did the recommended amber malt, and sugar/light malt addition. Also you mentioned in an earlier post that the O.G. was 1.106. I plugged the recipe into my calculator and came up with a projected O.G. of 1.103 and a final gravity of 1.026. I'd say you were fairly close to dead on. If the gravity reading is not changing, then i think its done.You might try warming it up for a few days, but I don't think adding more yeast is necessary.

As far as bottling, if you change your yeast to one that attenuates lower, and add priming sugar as well, the yeast may consume the simple sugars as well as some of the complex sugars left over from the primary ferment. In other words, the champagne yeast tolerates high alcohol levels better than the Belgian yeast and it may kick off a secondary fermentation causing bottle bombs. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension for priming purposes, IMHO. If you add yeast for bottling, add the same strain used in primary. Also for priming purposes, keep the bottles warm. Above 70 F for a couple of weeks. That yeast is getting tired and higher temps will keep them going without adding any noticeable off flavors.

If you want another option, I got an extra Keg, and would be willing to force carb and bottle for you. It takes a couple of weeks to do it right so we would have to get together soon. Just an idea. I'm not trying to hijack your beer.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #80
Hernando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
I assume you are using Mosher's tripel recipe form Radical, and did the recommended amber malt, and sugar/light malt addition. Also you mentioned in an earlier post that the O.G. was 1.106. I plugged the recipe into my calculator and came up with a projected O.G. of 1.103 and a final gravity of 1.026. I'd say you were fairly close to dead on. If the gravity reading is not changing, then i think its done.You might try warming it up for a few days, but I don't think adding more yeast is necessary.

As far as bottling, if you change your yeast to one that attenuates lower, and add priming sugar as well, the yeast may consume the simple sugars as well as some of the complex sugars left over from the primary ferment. In other words, the champagne yeast tolerates high alcohol levels better than the Belgian yeast and it may kick off a secondary fermentation causing bottle bombs. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension for priming purposes, IMHO. If you add yeast for bottling, add the same strain used in primary. Also for priming purposes, keep the bottles warm. Above 70 F for a couple of weeks. That yeast is getting tired and higher temps will keep them going without adding any noticeable off flavors.

If you want another option, I got an extra Keg, and would be willing to force carb and bottle for you. It takes a couple of weeks to do it right so we would have to get together soon. Just an idea. I'm not trying to hijack your beer.
That makes perfect sense about the EC-1118. I was pretty worried about the bottle bombs as well.

I don't see it hijacking at all. If it isn't too much off your back, I would love to do that. I have never done anything with kegs so that would be a cool learning experience.
O'tega Brewing

Quick Reply