Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Colorado HomeBrew Forum > Local 12 beers of Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #51
HerbieHowells
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There was a lovely gingerbread smell wafting out of my airlock yesterday afternoon, making the whole brew room smell like a wonderful bakery. That was before the WLP550 Belgian Ale in the second carboy took off, and made the whole room smell like a frat house. But based on the earlier smell, I have high hopes for this ale.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #52
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Had a bit of a stressful weekend (and I am going to vent) but my good friend and I took over the caramel quad. The guy who was supposed to do it kinda struck a nerve with me; he was to meet us at the brewhut Sat. to pick up the ingredients and since he was confsed on what to get I decided to meet them at the brewhut to help them out. He never showed, never called and never responded. My friend said he'll buy the stuff for the no-show and have him pay him back and I thought that was pretty commendable. We had a few Oktoberfests too so the evening wasn't a loss.

We had told the guy that we needed to start brewing mid to late morning, with the understanding that this is his beer and I am there to help with whatever questions or help he needed but brewing and clean up and the rest, was on him. (I figured since I am providing the equipment, propane & lunch, that this was fair) It's pushing noon and this guy, again, is a no-show, so we went and picked up some ice for cooling, I bought stuff lunch of course, he didn't show up. So, my friend Harry and I begin brewing and this guy calls around 1 to say he is showing up around 3 PM. We're cool with that but of course he missed the entire all-grain process. So this guys shows up around 3 and the boil is just begining. I am cooking up some food and the caramel for the brew while they watch the boil. My friend ends up leaving at 5:30 (we just transferred the beer to the ice tub) Harry says don't forget, you have to clean up and stuff.
I offer the guy a beer and he is telling me it's very good, blah-blah. He finishes off his beer and then leaves. While the beer is still cooling. He tells me, "I gotta go man. Are you cool with handling everything?" I am pissed and speechless and tell him I don't really have a choice, do I? So he bails, leaves me to do all the transferring and cleanup. This guys literally did nothing for this beer but stir the boil for 5 minutes.

I called Harry and told him what happened and he was pissed off too. We agreed to have the dude keep his money and we'll keep the batch since he did nothing for this beer at all. Do you guys think this was the right thing to do or am I being over-dramatic?

The Caramel Quad is happily fermenting in my basement. The final gravity was 1.106. With that being said, I would open this beer last or late as possible. It is October and I don't foresee this beer being mellow by December but I could be wrong. Had I known the procrastination was going to take so long I would have done this beer and left the dubbel for someone else. So, I apologize for this beer possibly not being ready by the time we exchange. And, thanks for letting me vent (not that I gave you a choice).

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #53
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

First of all, don't be concerned about the beer not being ready in time. We can deal with that. Patience is our game. On the issue of dude and the non-contribution, I think you are correct in excluding him at this point. I have put some effort into my beer and expect no less form a brother brewer. Both you and Harry have gone out of your way to get this beer brewed, and when the accounting comes in December, you should get the rewards. I wouldn't feel right if dude got some of my hard earned beer without the effort on his part. To paraphrase the President, "He didn't brew that". I look forward to the sampling of your now doubled workload, and to the December gathering of local brewers. Prosit.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #54
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yea, I'm on your side. It would have irritated me as well, and I would be doing the same thing as you.

On a side note - feedback is welcome with the Fruitcake Old Ale. Put all the fruit in to it the other week, but it doesnt state how long to keep it on the fruit. Should it be aged the entire time on the fruit, or should I treat is usual and only keep it there a week or two?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #55
Hernando
Recipes 

Thanks.

On a much lighter note; I helped Harry bottle his first ever batch of homebrew, the Honey Ginger IPA. I must say from the sampling, this beer is very good. I think the hops we used kinda took over the Ginger, I wasn't picking up on the ginger all that much but still good.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #56
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
Thanks.

On a much lighter note; I helped Harry bottle his first ever batch of homebrew, the Honey Ginger IPA. I must say from the sampling, this beer is very good. I think the hops we used kinda took over the Ginger, I wasn't picking up on the ginger all that much but still good.
You might want to let some of it age, and see if the ginger comes out more. But if not at least you have a baseline for the next batch. Cheers.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #57
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ginger is a subtle flavor that will probably blend with the hops. Cinnamon is another warm flavor that blends well.

On another note, I saw some fully laden juniper shrubs on my daily walk with my dogs. The house is vacant and I can get a few ounces if anyone wants some fresh juniper berries.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #58
06vmi06
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just saw this. Is there any way I can get a copy of the ginger bread ale. I would love to get it right and get in on this next year

Last edited by 06vmi06; 10-24-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #59
Hernando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_in_Aurora View Post
Ginger is a subtle flavor that will probably blend with the hops. Cinnamon is another warm flavor that blends well.

On another note, I saw some fully laden juniper shrubs on my daily walk with my dogs. The house is vacant and I can get a few ounces if anyone wants some fresh juniper berries.
I think the problem lies in the hops that he used. Initially the recipe says to pick your favorite IPA recipe, so he picked one that uses Simcoe, amarillo and columbus hops. Then after buying the ingredients, we and combing over the Ginger IPA notations in the book it says to use Kent Goldings exclusively. Still should be a good beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06vmi06 View Post
Just saw this. Is there any way I can get a copy of the ginger bread ale. I would love to get it right and get in on this next year
Sent
O'tega Brewing

Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #60
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am planning on getting the gingerbread ale into bottles this weekend. That should give it plenty of time to carb up before Christmas.

Between singing in my church choir and parties, my December calendar will be filling up soon. Has anyone given any thought to the actual exchange?

Quick Reply