Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Colorado HomeBrew Forum > going to Denver, where should I stop for beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on Avery. Awesome tasting room.

Nobody has mentioned Left Hand in Longmont. Not too far south of Ft. C.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHowells View Post
I am primarily a bankruptcy attorney, but I have always thought about starting up a side gig helping breweries get through the regulations and into business. The regulations can be a mess- I remember an article in the NYT food section a few years ago about American absinth producers having their labels rejected by the federal taxing authority for having images that suggested that the product had psychotropic qualities (the label at issue had a monkey pounding on a human skull with bones)- so you never know what will trip you up. I don't know what the specific issue with that location is, but I know that there is a school near by, as well as a federal housing project, so I am sure that zoning is a mess. Hope the Source market where they intend to move in 2013 goes well.
If you end up doing this, let me know. Would love to chat with you about it.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I agree with Peaktopview 100% I make sure to make the trip up to FoCo to do the tours and hit the taprooms a couple times a year. There are a few nice disc golf courses up that way, too. I think that most brewery tours are the same and they get boring. Seeing the same equipment over and over is not that interesting to me. I think you should hit up the Falling Rock and get your tasting in there. They have a ton of beers that are hard to find anywhere else. Also, the Cheeky Monk, off of Colfax, has a great seletion of Belgian beers and is worth the stop. Enjoy your trip.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHowells View Post
I am primarily a bankruptcy attorney, but I have always thought about starting up a side gig helping breweries get through the regulations and into business. The regulations can be a mess- I remember an article in the NYT food section a few years ago about American absinth producers having their labels rejected by the federal taxing authority for having images that suggested that the product had psychotropic qualities (the label at issue had a monkey pounding on a human skull with bones)- so you never know what will trip you up. I don't know what the specific issue with that location is, but I know that there is a school near by, as well as a federal housing project, so I am sure that zoning is a mess. Hope the Source market where they intend to move in 2013 goes well.
You could probably make good connections through the local bank loan officers. I remember driving into Denver in August and seeing billboards for some bank saying they finance breweries.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

FYI - NB tours fill up fast and you have to sign up on their website.

Odell and Fort Collins Brewing are good hits in Fort Collins but don't leave out Funkwerks. They are right down the street from Odell and Fort Collins Brewing.

In between Denver and Fort Collins are several great places in Longmont and Boulder but I don't know how you can hit all those places in a single day, especially since I assume many will have special events/taps going on. Plus, Fort Collins is a 1-2 hour drive depending on traffic and speed.

I also recommend at least finding some Dry Dock beers if you can't get to Aurora. Copper Kettle in Denver also has some great beers. It's away from the downtown area but you should find one or two of their beers on tap elsewhere. I wasn't that impressed with Strange Brewing but they are right there in LoDo. Prost is right there and Breckenridge has a tap house there as well.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
JeepBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My favorite is Pints Pub - http://pintspub.com/

Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can probably find better beer in town than Pints, but they have been serving pretty decent cask ale for years, which puts them on my favorites list. I have always been a Lancer IPA guy, but the Dark Star, which I think is their interpretation of Old Peculier, is quite tasty. When I was helping run a middle school youth group right after college, we used to go there after meetings to decompress a bit. It will probably be less slammed that some of Denver's better known spots. It may not be one of the best or most creative breweries in the area, but if you get a hankering for Real Ale, that is the place to go.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got back from Denver on Saturday, here is my rundown:
1st stop - Wynkoop - awesome
2nd - Three Dogs Tavern (bar)
3rd - Oskar Blues in Lyons - don't bother, this place sucked
4th - Breckenridge (Denver) soooo disappointing
5th - Great Divide - very busy (Friday of GABF) but the beer was great
6th - Atomic Cowboy (bar)
7th - The Elm (a pub, not a brewery or brewpub)

I wish I had time to go to Renegade, Pints, and probably 20 more places but there are only so many places you can drag a 2 1/2 year old! What a great city. The people were so low key and the city is easy to navigate.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Last edited by todd_k; 10-16-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: adding more stuff!

Quick Reply