Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Colorado HomeBrew Forum > going to Denver, where should I stop for beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default going to Denver, where should I stop for beer?

Great Divide is a given and I've read that Wynkoop and Strange Brews are good, where else should I be trying to hit while in town? I think we are also going to drive to Fort Collins for a New Belgium tour. I have no desire to go to the Ballpark brewery or any other BMC-brand breweries.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 619

There are a crap load of breweries in Fort Collins. Breckenridge, Fort Collins and New Belgium are essentially in the same industrial park.

http://www.coloradoinfo.com/fortcollins/food-fun

Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you are going to Fort Collins, Odell's is right next to New Belgium and Fort Collins brewery (and I think it is the best of them all as well).

Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

I have not been able to check out Crooked Stave yet, but I intend to as soon as Sober September is over. They are temporarily not able to serve on site, but you can still get bottles of their 100% Brett beers to go. They also happen to be in the same neighborhood as my LHBS, which is pretty awesome.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are so many choices. Dry Dock in Aurora at Chambers and Hampden is a multi-award winner. There is a decent mexican place in the same center.

The makers of Dale's Pale Ale, Oskar Blues has a **** ton of beers, including some heavier ones. You can swing by on the way to Ft. Collins.

Falling Rock Tap House is near Great Divide and they have hundreds on tap, plus some good bar food.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
peaktopview
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Falling Rock will give you a huge selection of everything (local and not local, love going there, "no crap on tap"), but if you are here, might as well hit the taprooms. As above, I would recommend, in Denver: Dry Dock, Great Divide, Renegade, and Crooked Stave (Herbie- they opened the doors on their barrel room on Sept. 5th, hours are listed as: Regular hours of operation will be Weds. thru Fri. 12pm to 7pm and Sat. 11am to 7pm). Hit Crooked Stave's website for the address. Oskar Blues and Lefthand in Longmont. Odell and Fort Collins brewery up in the Fort. Avery and Mountain Sun in Boulder. Could keep going, but that should keep you busy.

Enjoy your stay,
B

Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Yeah, according to Westward there was a licensing issue with the Crooked Stave tap room, and they have been ordered to stop serving on site, as of last weekend. But you can still apparently score bottles to go for now.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
peaktopview
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

herbie- my brother-in-law mentioned that very thing to me tonight, i had not heard. hope chad can get that worked out soon. got to love the red tape of bureaucracy.

b

Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

if you go up to fort collins new belguim is a must but you will kick yourself in the nuts for not going to Fort Collins. They are so cool there, they gave us a private tour.

Also Avery wins the contest for the best deal of samplers, I mean $1 for like a 7oz sample of any one of their beers and I am talking belgium quad and all, oh the tour is ok.

Great divide is always a good stop too just for their selection.

One stop I wish I did was Renegade, I wish I went there but will next time I am up there.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktopview View Post
herbie- my brother-in-law mentioned that very thing to me tonight, i had not heard. hope chad can get that worked out soon. got to love the red tape of bureaucracy.

b
I am primarily a bankruptcy attorney, but I have always thought about starting up a side gig helping breweries get through the regulations and into business. The regulations can be a mess- I remember an article in the NYT food section a few years ago about American absinth producers having their labels rejected by the federal taxing authority for having images that suggested that the product had psychotropic qualities (the label at issue had a monkey pounding on a human skull with bones)- so you never know what will trip you up. I don't know what the specific issue with that location is, but I know that there is a school near by, as well as a federal housing project, so I am sure that zoning is a mess. Hope the Source market where they intend to move in 2013 goes well.

Quick Reply