Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Colorado HomeBrew Forum > Denver County Fair

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
HerbieHowells
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Denver County Fair

I am entering two beers, a Cream Ale and an Ordinary Bitter, into the homebrew competition at the Denver County Fair this year. This is my first competition, and I am hoping to get some good feedback. Did anyone here participate last year? If so, should I be expecting a BJCP-style score sheet, or is it less formal than that? And is anyone else participating this year?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Scoring was a little weak last year since it was their first year. Mainly weak in the sense it was a bit disorganized, but they did provide BJCP sheets in return. I'll be entering about 10 beers again this year. Last year I got a 1st place with my Rye Pale Ale, so i'm looking forward to this one again.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I have been going back and forth on whether to enter or not. The only thing I have bottled right now is an IPA and I am suer they will get a flood of that style. I am really not sure if this batch is somp worthy or not. Best of luck to the two of you though.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips.

Since posting, I discovered that my LHBS is judging light hybrids in July, so I took a few bottles of the cream ale down there as well. I think it is one of my best beers to date, and I am really interested in seeing how it can be improved.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Sinkman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Heh, nice. Did you enter? I just dropped my cream ale and mango wheat off yesterday. I just started competing myself and have found that regardless of what I have sitting around the fridge, I enter it all. I don't care about the prize so much, but the feedback can be great.

That said, it was pretty great getting some ribbons this spring.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Dropped mine off yesterday as well- a cream ale and an ordinary bitter, as anticipated. Good luck to everyone.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Was a great one for me. I got a total of 8 ribbons along with grand champion.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Went the other direction for me. No score back on the bitter yet, but the cream ale got some harsh but helpful criticism regarding astringency. I was down in the dumps for a day or so, but then I tasted the beer, and saw exactly what the judge was talking about. Now that I have had the issue pointed out to me, I expect similar comments back on the bitter. My goal for the next year is to work on my water chemistry (I was using unfiltered tap water) and mash skills, and enter the exact same bitter recipe in next's years fair. We will call it "Redemption Bitter." Don't look back, guys, because someone might be gaining on you...

Quick Reply