Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Colorado HomeBrew Forum > Denver Area Winter Beer Exchange

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #51
putorious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree on the vanilla being a bit too much, but only so in the finish. Smells and tastes great, but leaves a little off flavor in the mouth afterwards. It goes great with my wife's homemade brownies though! I thought my bottle was a bit under-carbed too but still carbed enough to enjoy.

And yeah, Bogitol, I think I know what you mean about it being "heavy on the tounge." I think it has a bit too much body. It's thick and chewy. Not sure if it was because of my my mash, or a result of the really long boil I put it through. Glad you like it though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #52
putorious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, I'm game for a Summer Belgian theme...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #53
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 108

The Saison was tasty! What temp did you ferment the saison at? Having the vanilla porter tonight.

I will get the Summer in Belgium figured out shortly and post it up.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #54
botigol
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thanks Hernando! The fermentation temperature is an interesting quandary at the moment...I had planned to start it cool and then let it rise a bit, but ended up fermenting cool the whole time. Based on this I expected the yeast flavors and aroma to be subdued, but obviously that wasn't the result. I will have to check my notes for actual fermentation temps, but I know that ambient was 61-64.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #55
Hernando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by botigol View Post
Thanks Hernando! The fermentation temperature is an interesting quandary at the moment...I had planned to start it cool and then let it rise a bit, but ended up fermenting cool the whole time. Based on this I expected the yeast flavors and aroma to be subdued, but obviously that wasn't the result. I will have to check my notes for actual fermentation temps, but I know that ambient was 61-64.
Interesting. I have been wanting to do a Saison but can't till my ferm chamber is done. But now that I know you can get some awesome flavor with an ambient temp. below 70. I may give that a try sooner than later.

Had the Vanilla porter and I have to disagree on the vanilla. For a holiday beer, I personally think it was perfect, festive and delicious. I did not find it to be one-sided; the roast and chocolate bite, balanced well with sweet aroma of the vanilla. I had no carb issues.

Has anyone tried my double red, was just curious as I was thinking of entering that in NHBC for craps and laughs.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #56
botigol
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I wasn't diligent with my readings on this one, but the highest recorded temp that I have noted was 65F. The key is probably the yeast. I love WY3711 and that is what I used. WY3724 has a suggested range of 85-93 or something similarly ridiculous. IIRC most of the other saison yeasts have lower suggested ranges, but still much higher than WY3711.

Negative so far on your red, but it's now in the frig.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #57
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post

Has anyone tried my double red, was just curious as I was thinking of entering that in NHBC for craps and laughs.
What does the cap look like again? Ive been out of it for a while but am coming off my meds soon and will be back in the game. Ill try it first. Its been tough reading you all talk about these beers, and not imbibing. Couple days now.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #58
Hernando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
What does the cap look like again? Ive been out of it for a while but am coming off my meds soon and will be back in the game. Ill try it first. Its been tough reading you all talk about these beers, and not imbibing. Couple days now.
You didn't get a red I don't think. If you did it has a Red E on the gold cap. I know i gave you a Smoked Imperial Stout which is also going to the NHBC. but I only had a limited number of bottles on those.
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #59
putorious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had one of the Red-E Eddie's. I thought it was good, but nothing truly memorable for me, other than a little hoppier than I like my beers to be, but I don't recall it being bad or something I don't want any more of either. I'm not too familiar with the style either, so it could be really good for what it is. I tend to like the darker / maltier stuff, that's all.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #60
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
You didn't get a red I don't think. If you did it has a Red E on the gold cap. I know i gave you a Smoked Imperial Stout which is also going to the NHBC. but I only had a limited number of bottles on those.
I apparently am one of the lucky few to receive a "Red E" , and gave it a tasting last night. As my first in a long time, it may be that my palate is out of shape, or perhaps it has rebooted itself and is sharper than ever. Depends on how you look at it.
Anyway, I found the beer to be thoroughly enjoyable and drinkable. The color being a dark red/ light brown, crystal clear, with a solid off white head. Aroma of malt and some hops (not a hop forward nose), and with a firm bitterness up front, malty smoothness throughout, well balanced, with a slight bitters in the finish. With strong Belgian lace on the empty glass as proof of a properly conditioned beer, however as this beer went down so well (my first in a while, remember) the lacing had only about four levels, indicating that the beer was drank in long swallows and not sipped.
IMHO it was a bit out of style for an Irish red as too big, and to hoppy, but as a West Coast Red it was spot on, or if anything, not hoppy enough. Unfortunately West Coast Red is not an official style so you may want to squeeze it into an Alt category, or perhaps an American Amber. I don't brew for competitions, I brew what tastes good to me. And I liked this beer. Judges, understandably, have a different job and agenda.
Competitions aside though, I could drink pint after pint of this beer. Very drinkable. If you don't mind sharing I would like to add it to my recipe book, in the "beers to be made" folder.
Thanks. Mark

Edit: I plan to dive in to the Wee Heavy tonight. Man it is great to be back among the living.

Quick Reply