Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Minnesota HomeBrew Forum > NHC 2010 Results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #51
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That's what I was referring to. I was a point away from being eligible to move on to the finals. Not that I'd hold my breath with only a 30. But you could have the best bear in a category, but if all the beers were off and the best was only a 29, then nobody advances.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #52
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone else in the Great Lakes Region NOT get their certificates back yet?? I got my scoresheets back the week after the 1st Round, but no certs. Not that they mean much, just more wall decor I suppose.

FWIW, I should be getting a Gold cert and 2 Silvers.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #53
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
That's what I was referring to. I was a point away from being eligible to move on to the finals. Not that I'd hold my breath with only a 30. But you could have the best bear in a category, but if all the beers were off and the best was only a 29, then nobody advances.
You never know. It's a whole new ball game in the second round. A 30 could possibly do much better in the finals. The whole thing is somewhat of a crap shoot. Overall, IMO the quality of the BJCP judging is excellent and in the long run it all seems to work out fairly, but I've also entered the same beer in multiple competitions and the range was from Best of Show to zilch. The beer was all from the same batch and the competitions were all held at about the same time. In all, it was six major competitions (including 1st round NHC) and the final tally was one BOS, three golds, one silver and one bronze. That will probably never happen again with any beer I brew.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #54
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklawz View Post
Anyone else in the Great Lakes Region NOT get their certificates back yet?? I got my scoresheets back the week after the 1st Round, but no certs. Not that they mean much, just more wall decor I suppose.

I'm in the East Region and I just got mine last week. I'm sure they will arrive at your door very soon. BTW, they do mean much! One cannot have too much bling. Everyone knows that!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #55
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, my 37.5, 32, 31.5 didn't make it to the next round.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #56
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer View Post
If it makes you feel any better, my 37.5, 32, 31.5 didn't make it to the next round.
No, it doesnt make me feel any better. I got a 38, 35, and 33! LOL! Oh well those are the breaks.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #57
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Congrats to all who placed or won their categories!

I am just a noob and got lucky with my stout. I created the recipe as a sweet stout but missed my mash temps so it came out tasting like a dry stout. I entered it as a sweet stout due to the recipe and it scored 25, but I got a bronze certificate and I am happy.

I entered it in another comp as a dry stout and scored a 35! Either way I am gonna keep on brewing!

Good luck to all of you who have moved on to round 2!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 05-29-2010, 04:16 AM   #58
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
No, it doesnt make me feel any better. I got a 38, 35, and 33! LOL! Oh well those are the breaks.
my 40 got third and my 35 took first. I wish I could have tasted the others in the BOS flights.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #59
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

FYI I got my gold cert in the mail today (great lakes region)

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #60
artbrau
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
You never know. It's a whole new ball game in the second round. A 30 could possibly do much better in the finals. The whole thing is somewhat of a crap shoot. Overall, IMO the quality of the BJCP judging is excellent and in the long run it all seems to work out fairly, but I've also entered the same beer in multiple competitions and the range was from Best of Show to zilch. The beer was all from the same batch and the competitions were all held at about the same time. In all, it was six major competitions (including 1st round NHC) and the final tally was one BOS, three golds, one silver and one bronze. That will probably never happen again with any beer I brew.
That makes me feel better. My 48.5 first round mead didn't place in the top three in the second round. The one that won, didn't place in the top three in the first. Oh, well.

The key to winning is entering many brews. I always admired my brother's success with women. He pointed out that it wasn't that he had particular skill but that he went up to bat so much more than I did. I feared failure and he didn't. Good life lesson.

Quick Reply