Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Nebraska HomeBrew Forum > First!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #61
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Lincoln here. I use tap water. I do treat with Campden - I crack a tablet in half, prepare 5 gal in two buckets side by side, and I crush up half a tablet between my fingers into each bucket. I stir vigorously, then let it sit outside with no lid for ~15 min. after doing this, while I get the rest of my equipment set up.

Longer-term, I plan to build a filtering board and/or a whole house filter.

I also sometimes use a mix of 1/2 hy-vee refill-your-jugs water, 1/2 tap water.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #62
gladril
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Lincoln here. I use tap water. I do treat with Campden - I crack a tablet in half, prepare 5 gal in two buckets side by side, and I crush up half a tablet between my fingers into each bucket. I stir vigorously, then let it sit outside with no lid for ~15 min. after doing this, while I get the rest of my equipment set up.

Longer-term, I plan to build a filtering board and/or a whole house filter.

I also sometimes use a mix of 1/2 hy-vee refill-your-jugs water, 1/2 tap water.
Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Just out of curiosity, why do you put the buckets outside?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #63
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I read somewhere that sunlight helps release the chloramines. So I leave them without lids, in the sun, as I get my gear ready.

Plus, I brew outside, so I would put them there eventually.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #64
opus345

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quick Zipline Review: The wife and I went to Lincoln tonight to hit the grand opening of the Zipline Brewery in Lincoln. The Alt and the Porter were fantastic. I think the IPA needs some work, not bad mind you, but I like IPAs and have a higher standard. Gorgeous tap room. Cool looking tap handles. Hard working folks to get you served. http://www.ziplinebrewing.com/index.php/blog/entry/zbc-taproom-opens-on-january-4th. We will back back. Have heard that Zipline is on tap at the Library Pub. All the best to folks at Zipline.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #65
fifthcircle
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm too lazy to treat my water. I was running it through a cheap screw on carbon filter, but that takes 15min to get all my water. My water seems to be pretty good for brewing, but I'm not picky, and don't know any better. LOL!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #66
Vlaktor
Recipes 

Well over half of the beer I make goes to events so I filter my water regardless of how picky I am. Besides... brewing is typically the only thing I schedule on brew days so I could care less about 15 minutes. Filtering takes out that sharpness that chlorine imparts so the flavors are more rounded and pleasant. Probably not the greatest explanation; but that's how my brain interprets it. :-)

Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #67
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaktor View Post
Well over half of the beer I make goes to events so I filter my water regardless of how picky I am. Besides... brewing is typically the only thing I schedule on brew days so I could care less about 15 minutes. Filtering takes out that sharpness that chlorine imparts so the flavors are more rounded and pleasant. Probably not the greatest explanation; but that's how my brain interprets it. :-)
Yep, I'm going to have to go out and get a carbon filter before I brew this weekend.
Kegged
Summer Session #1 - Summer Session #2 - Hakuna Matata Strawberry Saison - Dank You Very Much IIPA - NZ Saison
Primary/Secondary
Sidelined Short Bus
On Deck

Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #68
davebstock
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ft Calhoun...1st batch in the Carboy now! Scottish Ale, milk stout next. Will be brewing in Omaha with friends now and then.

1 Timothy 5:23

dpatrickv Likes This 
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #69
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebstock View Post
Ft Calhoun...1st batch in the Carboy now! Scottish Ale, milk stout next. Will be brewing in Omaha with friends now and then.
Fort Calhoun you say? I'm originally from Fort Calhoun but now love out by Northwest HS.
Kegged
Summer Session #1 - Summer Session #2 - Hakuna Matata Strawberry Saison - Dank You Very Much IIPA - NZ Saison
Primary/Secondary
Sidelined Short Bus
On Deck

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #70
davebstock
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I went the opposite direction. Moved from Omaha to an acreage in the hills 9 years ago or so. Know many people that brew in our general region?

1 Timothy 5:23

Quick Reply