Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback > Unanswered threads?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
ziggy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Unanswered threads?

What happened to the unanswered threads link? I've never had a post that went unanswered since 2009, then this link was removed and in the past month I've had 2 threads with 0 replies. Is it still accessible somewhere? If not, can we bring it back?

Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3474 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 2984

My Account in black ribbon, 3rd down from the top.

I like the cleaner look of the new header, although Today's Posts can go away.

TxBrew Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahh, there it is. I thought it was gone. It was just weird to have 2 separate posts this month with no replies...never had that happen before.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3474 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy13 View Post
It was just weird to have 2 separate posts this month with no replies..
fixed that for you.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you sir

Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
sfbdmd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy13 View Post
Ahh, there it is. I thought it was gone. It was just weird to have 2 separate posts this month with no replies...never had that happen before.

Thanks!
Hi Ziggy! Just found your post with your brew list. Two weeks ago, I started my first home brew...I had a half gallon of smoked maple syrup from my first foray into sugaring. The local home brew shop suggested a maple porter recipe with the syrup added to the mash at the end of the first week. I'm ready to bottle but there's NO maple flavor in the brew at all. It's a 5-gallon batch. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Scott

Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hi Scott, I'm assuming you mean you added the maple syrup to the fermentor after the first week of fermentation? A half gallon of maple syrup sounds like a pretty good amount of syrup for a 5 gallon batch. If it's only a week old it probably needs to age a bit. Did your gravity remain the same for 3 days straight?

I also know that most maple syrup is grade A, like the kind you put on pancakes, but grade B provides a lot more noticeable flavor. I think it's because grade B has more solids and grade A is more refined, and a lot of the grade A gets fermented away by the yeast. I'm not 100% positive on that though.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
sfbdmd
Recipes 

Thanks for the response. Yes, I added smoked maple syrup (Grade B--we have all red maples on our lot--can't get grade A from them--but the B has WAY more flavor anyway!) after the first week of fermentation (yes, [I]fermenter[I] not mash--I'm new to the lingo and stuck in bourbon land!) and let it run for another week. I can't check the gravity on a regular basis because we're brewing at our cabin (weekends only). I observed it for two days (days 13 and 14 of fermentation) and had very little CO2 release. Gravity registered around 1.054. On recommendation from a friend (who has "2" batches of experience now!), I racked it off the solids into a carboy and added another pint and a 1/2 of syrup. The yeast seemed to like that immensely and almost immediately. I let it ferment for another week and then taste tested it (day 21) and it was much improved--like a cask-conditioned, mildly hopped ale more than a porter--but didn't think to check the gravity again. I plan to give it another week to age and then bottle this coming Sunday. Not sure how it will be, because I haven't found any way to correlate my syrup sugar content with the glucose syrup they recommended to be used. I know I'm supposed to add sugar to the mix prior to bottling--do you add syrup instead or in addition? Thanks again for the response! Any additional comments would be appreciated--from the looks of your list, you should really know your stuff!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could use maple syrup instead of sugar for carbonation, but as far as how much to use I really have no idea. It's going to be a small amount, and since you've already added a bunch of maple, adding a little bit more to carbonate is probably not going to add any more maple flavor anyway. You might be better off just adding corn sugar to carbonate with.

I need to get my hands on some of that grade b maple syrup!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1809 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Please move your conversation to a thread so others may find the information in the future.

My Instagram

Closed Thread

Quick Reply