Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback > Some general comments / warnings and THE RULES

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default Some general comments / warnings and THE RULES

This isn't aimed at anybody, just kind of a general note / warning.

In about three weeks, we know that there will be a LOT of new brewers posting here. Lots of people who just got a Mr. Beer, lots of people who just got a starter kit, lots of people who are very exciting about homebrewing and have lots and lots and lots of questions.

People who do not know the hundreds and hundreds of times those questions have already been asked and answered!

Speaking on behalf of the mods, we just ask that people remember some of the core things that have made this site such a great place:

1. We're generally a civil, polite bunch
2. We're almost all pretty friendly folks
3. We like to share the knowledge we've gathered
4. 98% of us were complete n00bs within the past few years. I would wager that every single one of us has asked a pretty stupid question at some point.

So, when someone posts the fifth "did I kill my yeast?" thread in a day, if you can't be civil in your response, just don't answer, just stay out of it. Asking people to search is fine, but it's better to say "probably not, BTW, here's how to search..." Remember, the search function here kinda sucks, I rarely use it myself. Show people www.howtobrew.com, but do not be dismissive or condescending in how you do so.

Basically, treat the n00bs respectfully.

Remember, too, how many cool people you've "met" through HBT, and think of new folks not as an annoyance, but potentially as new brew buddies. If someone posts in the "Introductions" forum from around you, it's nice to say "hi." Let's not do anything to turn people away from this great community.

Now, people who CANNOT restrain themselves, who act needlessly snide or disrespectfully, are not going to be welcomed as members of the HBT community. We don't like banning anyone except spammers, but if people cannot act in an adult manner, that may come to be - either temporarily or permanantly. I really, really, REALLY do not want this to happen to anybody, but if it comes down to it - I, nor the other mods, will hesitate to take action.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
Varmintman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird

Now, people who CANNOT restrain themselves, who act needlessly snide or disrespectfully, are not going to be welcomed as members of the HBT community. We don't like banning anyone except spammers, but if people cannot act in an adult manner, that may come to be - either temporarily or permanantly. I really, really, REALLY do not want this to happen to anybody, but if it comes down to it - I, nor the other mods, will hesitate to take action.
Q4T

I know everyone of us is capable of being exceptional community members.

I just want to underscore that this is kind of a new thing for us to be upfront about. If someone acts uncivil, they will be gone for a few days or forever depending on whether this is seen a outlayer or a pattern of behavior.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

In this type of forum there is always going to be a little light hearted ribbing and telling things like they are. There is no problem with that.
There is nothing wrong with a direct answer and pointing out the error of the method. BUT there is no need to be rude.

We've had a few specific instances in the last couple of days of replies to new members being outright Rude. This is not allowed and we don't tolerate the person asking the question to be rude to those giving the advice.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

There's always room for one more good homebrewer in the world.

Who knows...the person you help out might be the next Jamil someday.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Code of Conduct???

Maybe if we agree to a general “format” for answering the redundant, elementary, been-discuss-here-a-thousand-times questions, it’ll make it easier.

General format would be:
1) Welcome them to HBT and Homebrewing
2) Encourage their efforts so far
3) Give them some assurances and general advice
4) Point them (politely) in the right direction for more information
5) Reaffirm their decision to try and brew beer and encourage them to report back here with their results
Always make a newcomer feel welcome
Example:
“Hi my name is Ned Flanders and I just brewed my first Mr. Beer. Can you tell me why it’s not doing anything? It’s been like 20 minutes?

Signed…
Desperate to be a homebrewer

HBT Responsible Response
Hi Ned, congratulations on your first brew.
Sounds like you’re anxious to get going.
The thing you’ll need to remember most of all is that brewing beer takes patience.
Give it time and in the mean time go here the learn more about the Mr. Beer process and experience.
Let us know how it turns out and feel free to pick our brains.
Good luck and cheers.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

And1129 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Related warnings...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24898
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26199

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default HBT Forum Rules

For those folks who just click and move on while registering, here are the rules for membership on HomeBrewTalk.com. You cannot register without checking the box that you read these and agree to abide by them.

Quote:
HBT Forum Rules

In order to proceed, you must agree with the following rules:
YOU MUST BE OF LEGAL AGE TO PRODUCE HOME BREW IN YOUR STATE/COUNTRY TO REGISTER AND READ THIS FORUM. BY AGREEING TO THESE TERMS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU ARE.

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Home Brew Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Home Brew Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Home Brew Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Any material submitted to HomeBrewTalk.com including posts, threads, images, private messages, profile information, avatars and all other material is property of HomeBrewTalk.com and can be done with as wanted by the owners.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

This is good advice.

Forum Behavior (video)

Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
Where?.......
+1

If you see inappropriate posts, please use the report post button () to let the MODs know.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 12-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

It pains me to bring this thread back to the forefront during this season of kindness. However, there are a few among us who probably ought to review the rules. Please, no personal attacks, insults, or rudeness. And please, no abrasive "USE THE SEARCH, n00b!" posts.

Thank you, and happy holidays!

Quick Reply