Maltose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Hello. Looking to use maltose to boost my gravity in an IPA recipe I'm formulating but I can't find any info on its extract potential. I'm assuming it's around 1.046 like regular cane sugar, but I want to be sure. Anybody know what it is? Thanks!

Maybe you're thinking of Liquid Malt Extract (LME) or Dry Malt Extract (DME). According to How to Brew, " A pound of LME typically yields a gravity of 1.034 - 38, as measured by a hydrometer, when dissolved in one gallon of water. DME yields about 1.040 - 43. These yield values are referred to as Points per Pound per Gallon." Hope that helps.

I actually am talking about granulated maltose sugar. I read that English brewers often use it to boost the gravity for bitters and pale ales. Thanks for the heads up on the DME though. That may come in handy some other time.

I actually am talking about granulated maltose sugar. I read that English brewers often use it to boost the gravity for bitters and pale ales. Thanks for the heads up on the DME though. That may come in handy some other time.

It would be similar to sucrose, as chemically the sugars are very close.

Back