Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > West Virginia HomeBrew Forum > Homebrewers in Charleston WV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
twofieros
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

PJM,

Charleston is kinda dry for draft beers. Soon there will be an English micro brew pub opening. I think next year is their plan. There was a blues BBQ downtown that had a huge selection of beers on tap but I'm pretty sure they are gone. I could be wrong. I usually have some home brews ready so you can always hit me up when you come to town. Maybe we can trade some brews or you can have some of mine if you promise to give me an honest review.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
Forddog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofieros View Post
I've got one keggle I built. I use two 10 gal igloo coolers for HLT and MT. I've also get ten hops plants in their first year of growth with five varieties. I should get a good crop still. I've been working on my own IPA recipe which is my goal for this fall when the tap water cools a little more.

Last week I brewed with my plate chiller for the first time which worked very well. Tap water is 80 and I chilled the wort down to 82 as fast as I could drain the keggle.

I want to make a few changes to my system. I want to make an electric HLT and build a RIMS or HERM MT. I also need to modify my burner for my keggle. I burn through a lot of propane during each brew because the burner sits too low for maximum efficiency due to the extra lip on the keggle.

I've been brewing for four years but switched to all grain this year. I already have 6 all grain brews under my belt which all turned out great. I don't know what it is but all the extract brews I did seemed to be missing something. Whatever it is I have it in the all grain brews so I'm very happy with my beers now. I also like the challenge of all grain brewing and trying to hit OG while brewing.

Saturday's I work at 4pm so maybe I could come by during one of your brews, meet you, and share a few brews I've made.

Tim
Do you keep a constant ferm temperature i have found that has made a big difference in my all grain. I do brew in a bag and have found it to be extremely ease transition. Would love to swap a few brews I m dying to get honest feedback all my friends love it but they just love free beer....Also just got a new grain mill last week dying to try....I just never got time to brew family constraints and I'm addicted to these forums have learned and save so much.

ohh here was my last one the aforementioned watermelon wheat

Kevin
photo.jpg  

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #23
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Kevin,

I'm able to hold my temps pretty good. I place my ales on the concrete basement floor. It holds them around 65. When I need to go colder I use my keggerator which has a temperature controller on it.

image-2101136462.jpg

That's a picture of my corona clone in the keggerator. I brewed it last week.

image-931302107.jpg

My hops beginning to produce cones.

Tim

image-544780474.jpg  

Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
edawgwv
Recipes 

Cheers Fellow CRW and WV brewers,

I live in Charleston, off of Lucado and Smith. I have done 30 -40 all grain brews, batch sparge, recirc chiller w/ pump. Still experimenting w/ the setup and would love to get together to brew sometime, share some homebrew and learn from others. Thanks for starting this thread.

Evan

Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #25
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Evan,

We chatted in northern Brewer's forum. We will get together an brew sometime. I usually brew on thursday and Fridays since those are my days off right now. I've got 25 gallons fermenting and next week I plan to do my first ten gallon batch.

Soon my hops will be ready for harvest and I plan to start experimenting with them. I have five varieties and two if each growing. This is their first year but it looks like I will get a harvest from each one. It took a while to figure out their nutrient needs but now that I have that squared away they are kicking butt!

Tim

Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #26
giveupthekingdom
Recipes 

would any of the Charleston or Wv home brewers be down for arranging a meeting some where. We can discus brews ideas, and hell even arrange a brew session some time. If people are interested I am sure we can set something up.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
Metzger22
Recipes 

I would be up for a meeting or what ever. I haven't brewed anythiing in a long time but I'm itching to get back at it. My schedule is pretty hectic most of the time but if you guys planned a meeting I could try to make. No promises though.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Metzger22,

I'm not sure when my next brew will be. We recently lost two friends do my swmbo and I have been dealing with that lately. Kevin is probably the next one to make a batch. I'll see if he wouldn't mind having a big get together at his place. Where in charleston do you live? I posted earlier where I'm located. I accept texts too. You can text me anytime at 304-767-8034.

Tim

Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #29
giveupthekingdom
Recipes 

Tim,
sorry to hear about you loss.
A brew day sounds great. I only have a few brew under my belt... all extract and some cider.
I would welcome the chance to get together with other Charleston Home Brewers to talk, learn and have fun home brewing.
If everyone wants to maybe we can set up a a meet and great sorta thing, som where like pies and pints or lolas, or somethinga
I live on the West side charleston edgewood area. I would down for a brew day.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #30
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

My schedule kinda blows when it comes to weekends. During the week I can usually do something. Thursday andfriday are my days off. If we do something then I will be there.

Quick Reply