The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > West Virginia HomeBrew Forum > Homebrewers in Charleston WV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
twofieros
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I live 4 miles south of Walmart on 119. It's more like alum creek but zoned south charleston.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Metzger22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofieros View Post
I live 4 miles south of Walmart on 119. It's more like alum creek but zoned south charleston.
My wife's got some family out that way. Lock 4 subdivision I think.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

I'm not familiar with that one. We've only been here for a year and haven't traveled much around the local area.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hey Metzger,

Know any other brewers in the Beckley area? I'm just outside of Pineville and am looking to find others in this area to get together with, or possibly make a group buy. There have to be more of us in southern WV.

Chuck

Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Metzger22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
Hey Metzger,

Know any other brewers in the Beckley area? I'm just outside of Pineville and am looking to find others in this area to get together with, or possibly make a group buy. There have to be more of us in southern WV.

Chuck
No, unfortunately I don't. I'm in the National Guard with a guy that brews but he lives in Chas. Last I heard he was buying a conical fermenter. Pretty sweet.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
Forddog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in the charleston area and I would love to get in on a group buy I just bought a 50 pound sack of 2 row. Really sucks not having a lhbs you got remember everything. Just to show how awsum this forum is I was on and I was stressing on yeast and some dude sent me a couple of packs of us 05 overnighted it from his company so I could brew one week. I tried to pay him and he told me to pay it forward very cool of him saved my brew weekend !!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Forddog

I too am in charleston. I also just got a 50 pound bag of two row. I plan to brew up a lot of different batches to compare all the yeast I have in my yeast bank. I usually brew on Thursday's of Fridays since those are my days off. When do you brew? Where in charleston are you located?

Tim

Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #18
Forddog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Usually on saturday or sunday but have brewed in about a month been gathering supplies past couple months. Next big project is to get these keggles built. Just got my ferm chamber built and stocking up on grain and hops. Kewl on yeast farming saves so much in the long run may have to see what you have. I m big on yeast washing just got thru with my 380 did a couple of hef recipes i got on here sd slims lemon lime hef and dubbel dachs watermelon wheat both excellent summer beers but i can never keep them that long ...LOL

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

I've got one keggle I built. I use two 10 gal igloo coolers for HLT and MT. I've also get ten hops plants in their first year of growth with five varieties. I should get a good crop still. I've been working on my own IPA recipe which is my goal for this fall when the tap water cools a little more.

Last week I brewed with my plate chiller for the first time which worked very well. Tap water is 80 and I chilled the wort down to 82 as fast as I could drain the keggle.

I want to make a few changes to my system. I want to make an electric HLT and build a RIMS or HERM MT. I also need to modify my burner for my keggle. I burn through a lot of propane during each brew because the burner sits too low for maximum efficiency due to the extra lip on the keggle.

I've been brewing for four years but switched to all grain this year. I already have 6 all grain brews under my belt which all turned out great. I don't know what it is but all the extract brews I did seemed to be missing something. Whatever it is I have it in the all grain brews so I'm very happy with my beers now. I also like the challenge of all grain brewing and trying to hit OG while brewing.

Saturday's I work at 4pm so maybe I could come by during one of your brews, meet you, and share a few brews I've made.

Tim

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Wheeling here. Just wanted to say high to my fellow wv brewers. I get to Charleston a few times a year and am always looking for a place to get a good craft beer on tap. I've been to pints and pies and was impressed with a widmer drifter pale ale they had. Any other places to get a good beer in Charleston?

Quick Reply