Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Maryland HomeBrew Forum > Southern MD brewers club

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
emyers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Southern MD brewers club

I'm down in Waldorf and would love to help initiate/re initiate a southern MD Homebrew Club. I would be willing to host a homebrew club to get the ball rolling.

A bit about me, Im 26 and Iv'e Been brewing for over a year now and currently have a 4 tap kegerator with both pin and ball lock fittings. I just started doing 11 gal batches in my keggle and am currently converting to a low budget electric brewery in my garage. I do all grain brews and some meads currently, just started messing with washing and starting yeasts. I have a fairly large garden and orchard (for Waldorf) with plans of making wines/ciders in the near future. I also started growing 6 types of hops this year. Would love to share and learn from other brewers as well as feedback on my brew.

I would also like to start a southern MD bulk grain purchase group if we have enough members.

Please respond if your interested and i will set up a date/time.

-Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
hershpga
Recipes 

I would be willing to partake in these club events. My name is Eric & I'm 23 and have been doing this a little over a year and loving every batch.

Cheers

Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
454k30
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 33

We just got into Pax River a month ago from the Seattle area. We would really like to find some fellow brewers and a LHBS.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
hershpga
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454k30 View Post
We just got into Pax River a month ago from the Seattle area. We would really like to find some fellow brewers and a LHBS.
Maryland Homebrew
http://stores.mdhb.com/StoreFront.bok

Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't been to any shops but my friends say Annapolis home brew is better than MD home brew. Due to the hour+ trip to the nearest home brew shop i typically just hit up midwest and pay a few bucks for shipping, a 50lbs bag of grain is only $25 and you can sneak a few lbs of other items in without bumping up the shipping. However i really need to stock up on grain and get in on a bulk purchase.

https://www.annapolishomebrew.com/

We should shoot for a first meeting in march sometime. Im busy on the 9th but open otherwise. I take it Saturdays works for everyone?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
GetStrunk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454k30 View Post
My wife works down at Pax, before that she was out in Everett for about 3-4 years.

We live up in Bowie (so her commute sucks ) and we typically visit Annapolis Homebrew as our LHBS. It's not a bad little store, they have pretty much everything you'd want as far as supplies and ingredients, but their prices are on the high end and some people have complained their recipes are "proprietary" (they'll sell you a kit but won't tell you what's in it.

I've had good luck buying odds and ends or a mixed grain bill from them though, and in a pinch it's faster than waiting for crap from online, though SOMD is a bit far to just drop in.

Strunk Brewing Co.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd be into that,

I am old as dirt and been doing this for over a decade

Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Lets have a meet at my place on the 30th of March starting at 2:00 pm. As for the agenda we can either do a brew day or we can do taste testing and meet and greet. I would also recommend everyone to bring over any equipment you want to trade or sell. I would be more than happy to supply some grub. Probably a large chunk of meat smoked for hours on a wood fire. I have plenty of parking.

As mentioned i have a 4 tap kegerator if anyone wants to bring a pin or ball lock keg over for samples. I will have 3 types of beer on tap, a dark Irish red ale, a fat tire clone, and a copper ale. I have a fairly large 1 car garage so we can brew in there if the weather isn't working with us. I have a propane turkey fry burner but my propane tank is near empty if anyone needs to borrow it. Ill be using my electric kettle. Please RSVP if you plan to attend. If there is a scheduling issue please let me know so we can possibly work with moving the date.

So things on the agenda
Think of a club name
brainstorm of future things to do as a group
discuss bulk grain purchase options
talk equipment and share knowledge

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Jonus86
Recipes 

Id be up for this. As I said in the other thread I am working and going to school all night so I might not be able to come to every meeting during semesters. If we are finally going to start an official one going I will try my hardest to make it to the first meeting.

Im 26 and also work on PAX. I have been brewing a little more than a year and have been doing all grain for all that time except my first coopers kit batch. I have the standard 10 gallon rubbermaid setup, so nothing fancy on my end.

I did my first batch of mead this new years and starting to dabble in homemade wine from my grandparents local grapes that we found out were wine grapes not the concords they ordered from a supply store lol.

As for bulk grain I do not have a crusher yet, though I have been getting good efficiency from the Austin Homebrew crush. It would be something I am interested in.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
6-speed
Recipes 

Hello all, I am in the Hollywood area and have made several batches with my brother in law. We made beer for my wedding back in '09. I haven't made anything in a while but I have had the itch to make something, and have been thinking about trying to make mead. I am still a beginner as we have always used kits from Annapolis home brew. I think it would be cool to have a meet and learn from more experienced brewers. I will put the March 30 meeting in my calendar, but it is a little far out to know what my work schedule will be. I have been working a lot of weekends lately. I will update as we get closer. Hopefully I can make it!

EDIT: I found this thread from the post on SOMD online.

Quick Reply