Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Maryland HomeBrew Forum > Brand New Brewer. Cecil County Maryland

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
STJonesin4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary22 View Post
It seems like they're helpful. I'd like to try to make it to their beer brewing sessions the first Wednesday of the month.
I was thinking the same thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
boortzie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to live in DC, and learned how to homebrew from the guys at the Flying Barrel in Frederick. They do brew-on-premises, providing all of the materials, equipment, and know-how to get you started. Plus they have a homebrew shop that's pretty nicely stocked (not as good as online vendors, but pretty good nonetheless). I can't recommend them enough for a beginning brewer.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
Gary22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boortzie
I used to live in DC, and learned how to homebrew from the guys at the Flying Barrel in Frederick. They do brew-on-premises, providing all of the materials, equipment, and know-how to get you started. Plus they have a homebrew shop that's pretty nicely stocked (not as good as online vendors, but pretty good nonetheless). I can't recommend them enough for a beginning brewer.
Hmmm that's a lil far but ill have to look into that. What's the cost for their brew-on-premise service? Thanks a lot for the info by the way!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
boortzie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's their website: http://www.flyingbarrel.com/brew_on_premise.htm

I think it's about $100 for a 5 gallon batch. $175 for a 10 gallon batch. That's all in (extract, hops, yeast, equipment, bottles, etc.). But you should know that they only do extract batches there.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Gary22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That sounds like a good time. And a very knowledgeable one as well. I'm going to try to plan a trip out that way here soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
tonyp063
BOFH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary22 View Post
Well I'm in Towson at least one weekend a month. Where is this LHBS in the Baltimore area located? N is it worth going to and checking out?
http://www.nepenthehomebrew.com/

I've been there several times. New place. The owners are nice, knowledgeable & they seem to have the customer service aspect well in hand. They just started up their brew-on-premisis operation, but I have no knowledge of the pricing.

They have a good selection of ingredients & such & their prices are competitive.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Gary22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot. That's very close to my unit and I'll be sure to check it out one weekend I'm down that way.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
squarepeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJonesin4 View Post
The Thirsty Brewer in Baldwin is nice. Very helpful dudes in the store.
Thirsty Brewer is great. You can tell the staff loves what they do and are great resources. Good prices and selection of ingredients (I'm an extract brewer, so take that for what it is). I've seen some negative comments about the place online, disregard these. Yes, you have to go down cement stairs that always seem to be wet to an unmarked steel door. However, isn't feeling like a bootlegger part of the charm of what we do?

Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
MDVDuber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There are a couple of us in Cecil County - so welcome to the "club". I started with a MR. Beer a few years ago and now - well let's just say MR. Beer is an entry level drug.

I second How Do You Brew - great folks and always willing to do special orders if you need.

I also second the buy gear carefully thought above. I spent a good bit of $$ finding my way early on - could have been better spent on better gear with some more experience under my belt.

Have fun!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
bboykin87
Recipes 

I just started brewing myself, I'm also in cecil county. I did my first brew last weekend, a red ale from a best brewers kit and I did my second last night/this morning, following an extract recipe for a strawberry blonde, tho I suppose at this point it's just a blone as I haven't added the strawberries yet.

I've made two trips to How Do You Brew and they seem knowledgeable and helpful, I may check out some of the other stores in PA and the surrounding area just to see how they are. I have been researching and looking into geting into this hobby for a few years and I just wish I did it sooner. I want to brew everything, I wish I could brew all the time lol. I'm gonna run out of room for fermentation and such.

Quick Reply