Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Maryland HomeBrew Forum > Anyone growing hops in MD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
PeteNMA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Anyone growing hops in MD

As the title said, anyone growing any hops this year in MD? I've got some rhizomes on pre-order with Midwest, 2x Cascade and 2x Goldings.

Any local experience would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Im growing 6 types of hops this year. Planted this fall in a leaf gro/compost/azomite/chickitty doodoo mix. I got 4 varieties from a friend who grows in Glen Burnie with moderate success (his soil is lacking). Not much experience growing hops but 10+ years of organic green thumb experience (including there cousin) and a 2k sq/ft veggie garden. Keep the soil fertile and well drained with a 1-2" deep mulch of shredded leaves on top. Get your soil tested at the MD extension if you haven't already, its about $10 http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/SoilTesting.cfm (google "md soil extension") Highly consider purchasing a yard or two of leaf gro compost from a local nursery or garden supply store to amend your soil ~$25-30 yd. If you have any aphid problems purchase a tin of ladybugs off amazon and that will cure the problem.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 239

yup, i've got 6 varieties going into year 2, in rockville.

i can attest to cascade doing well in this climate, it was my most successful plant last year. i don't have experience with goldings, but my research (see first link in my signature) says that they do well in heat. this is for US goldings, i'm assuming you didn't import british EKG's... those wouldn't thrive in our climate.

good luck!

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
robfar
Thomas Corcoran Brew Works
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

I have Goldings that will be in their 5th year. They don't get enough sun. First 3 years I pretty much neglected them and got no cones. Last year I fertilized, watered and babied them. They were really looking good and then the wife had the house pressure-washed and my Goldings got sprayed with bleach. They recovered but again no cones.

I'd like to try Cascades.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
awshepard
Recipes 

I apologize if this is hijacking the thread, and I don't mind moving it to its own thread if needed.

I'm also looking for some advice here. I've got Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, and Willamette on order. I'm trying to get a feel for a good growing location on my property - I've read that hops need a good amount of sunshine, but I saw someone's blog where they mentioned that the summer afternoon sun here gets to be a little too intense. If folks don't mind taking a look at the attached picture and giving any hints or suggestions, that'd be great. I'd really like to find a good location to get these babies started.

A quick overview of the picture -
North is indicated by the arrow in the bottom left, the path the sun takes is indicated by the orange arc. The back of the property is mostly trees, gets a lot of shade, some indirect sunlight. The back right of the property has a small hill (maybe 5 ft high), sloping in the direction indicated by the arrow, and is more exposed to sun than the back left.

Locations -
1. There's a tree here that I could attach twine to. The south side would obviously get a lot of sun, the north side less so.
2. Gets quite a bit of sun, but would get some afternoon shade from the tree at location 1.
3. Basically gets full-on sun from about noon to sundown. Great location for a garden, but not sure if hops will like that.
4. Gets moderate sun all day long. Might have some drainage issues here.
5. Would get pretty good sun from a couple hours after sunup to a couple hours before sundown. Has some amount of shade from direct afternoon sun.
6. Gets mostly morning sun, until around noon. This is where the AC unit & generator are though, so that might get in the way.
7. Would get mostly morning sun.

Based on what I'm reading, I'm thinking that locations 5 & 7 might be the best, with maybe #2 as a strong 3rd. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on the matter?

Thanks in advance!

hopplan.png  

Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1792 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I live in nottingham, and my damn cascades grew like they had roids. The rest weren't as good, but my beds weren't that well set up.

Primary: None
Secondary: Nothing there either
Kegged: Porter, Pale Ale

Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
robfar
Thomas Corcoran Brew Works

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

awshepard, I was waiting to see if anyone that actually has had success would reply, but here goes.
I believe it's better to have some sun all day long than full sun just in the morning or afternoon. The length of the day plays a big role in the growth cycle. The two locations on your south side (1,2) would give you that. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
MDVDuber

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm growing Cascade, Centennial, Nugget, Chinook, Fuggles, Goldings, Sterling and Liberty. They are fighting a bit of a battle with my Caneberry patch, but the Nugget and my 3 C's are going gangbusters after 2 seasons, the Fuggles and Goldings are intermediate in vigor and the Sterling and Liberty are performing very poorly. All have been treated the same. I have some afternoon shade in the heat of summer and it doesn't seem to negatively effect the hops. I also have a "generic" hop from Gurney's that is in full sun - I do not see a vigor or yield difference between them and my specific variety hops.

If a plant needs a certain day length to flower etc. is more related to actual night and day cycle and not sun intensity. That said some plants are definitely more sun "hungry" than others, hence shade vs full sun plants.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
PeteNMA
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Well my rhizomes have been in the ground for a couple of weeks now. One of the goldings is going great guns, the other is in hot pursuit. One of the cascades has some decent shoots above ground, the second is still being a touch shy.

I'm on the lookout for some Willamette crowns if anyone has any.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
MDVDuber

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Opps - I meant to say Willamette and not Fuggles - Pete - PM sent.

Quick Reply