Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Maryland HomeBrew Forum > Any fans of sour beer in the DC area?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
FatBaldBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Any fans of sour beer in the DC area?

OK,

So I brewed a Kolsch in late June. Fermented nicely, racked it to a secondary to let it age and clean up a bit. Unfortunately time got the best of me and I couldn't get around to bottling when i wanted. I figured it was well sealed so it should be fine.

Now, after bottling and a good 4 weeks plus in bottles; I have a definite sour beer of some form... Upon smelling the first bottle I knew that it came from my original yeast as well, I think perhaps they got partially overthrown by something else...

Anyway; I am not sure if it is even drinkable at this point; and I am hoping to get some assistance from someone with more experience than I currently have. Is there anyone in the DC area interested in sampling a decidely sour beer to see if it is somehow salvageable?

On Deck: Irish Red
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Black IPA
Kegged:
Drinking: All gone!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
thewinechik
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldBeerGuy
OK,

So I brewed a Kolsch in late June. Fermented nicely, racked it to a secondary to let it age and clean up a bit. Unfortunately time got the best of me and I couldn't get around to bottling when i wanted. I figured it was well sealed so it should be fine.

Now, after bottling and a good 4 weeks plus in bottles; I have a definite sour beer of some form... Upon smelling the first bottle I knew that it came from my original yeast as well, I think perhaps they got partially overthrown by something else...

Anyway; I am not sure if it is even drinkable at this point; and I am hoping to get some assistance from someone with more experience than I currently have. Is there anyone in the DC area interested in sampling a decidely sour beer to see if it is somehow salvageable?
Throw it away kid. Start again. Something must have entered it and made it bad. Usually bacteria. I'm in Baltimore, I do come down to dc often. Brewing all grain tomorrow. Let me know if you needhelp. Remember to sanitize everything.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1566 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 648

I'm certainly willing to try it.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
FatBaldBeerGuy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Let me know where I can meet you, I'll bring you a 6 pack. I've never had sour beers before so I don't know if it's just bad or salvageable...

I've tried it, and it isn't terrible; just sour.

On Deck: Irish Red
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Black IPA
Kegged:
Drinking: All gone!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
thewinechik
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I tried sour yesterday thinking of you.... Not my thing.

;(

Quick Reply