The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Delaware HomeBrew Forum > House Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Getzinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default House Hunting

Hello fellow Delawareans!

My SWMBO and I are currently in the market for a home. We're getting married in November, and neither of us really want to return from our honeymoon to this old studio apartment.

We're working on a tight budget, and we don't really have too many demands. Basically our dream would be 3 bed, 2 full bath, with a basement (don't care if it's finished or not) on a decent plot of land. I know you can find that pretty much anywhere, but we would like somewhere in a decent neighborhood.

Anyone know of any nice homes for a low price in Northern DE? Mostly Bear and northward. Any suggestions appreciated!

My spoon is TOO big.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Depending on your budget check out Middletown. Good luck finding a decent bit of land without paying out the ass anywhere north of the C&D. We actually just bought a house in middletown and moved in this past weekend.

It would also help to know what your "tight budget" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Getzinator
Recipes 

Congratson the new house! We are looking to keep it under $150k. Middleton is a little south of what we were looking for. But I will definitely keep it in mind.

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinator View Post
Congratson the new house! We are looking to keep it under $150k. Middleton is a little south of what we were looking for. But I will definitely keep it in mind.
We moved from Bear and had initially thought middletown was further south than what we wanted, but it really is a quick drive. Today was my first commute into work, in Christiana, and it only added about 5-10 minutes for me.

You will be really hard pressed to find anything for that price with a decent amount of land that isn't all but falling apart for that price in New Castle county. Good luck though.

We looked at well over 100 houses over a 6 month period so I have a pretty good idea of what the market is like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Getzinator
Recipes 

We figured that would be the case, unfortunately. I really want to be able to raise chickens, but it's not going to happen for a while it seems. C'est la vie...

My SWMBO is the one who really needs to be further north. Her work is around North Wilmington, and it's a lot of driving already. Just comes with her work. I work right up the road from Christiana Hospital, so I'm willing to move further south.

Any hard earned advice you can give a rookie?

My spoon is TOO big.

Quick Reply