Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Delaware HomeBrew Forum > Delaware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #81
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstStateBrewer View Post
Looks like the Complete Results were posted on the website as well. So you can see your score if you didn't place. Looks like the American Ale category is missing a bunch of scores

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #82
knightnorth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm, so a Porter took 1st BOS and a Stout took 3rd BOS. Same thing happened in 2011. It's good to know what the judges like. Won't rely on my Light Lager if I enter.

I like the quote from Dogfish judge Dan Weber, "Balance is an important issue for a lot of home brewers.Sometimes they may use too much of one thing or too little of another thing, and the balance in-between the 2 doesn't always come through."

That's funny coming from Dogfish who make bitter beer a common base. Just a matter of taste but I'm trying to make beers less busy and more simple because if you got too much going on you're not going to get all the flavors out. It'd be nice to get a review though.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #83
Clint04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Looks like the Complete Results were posted on the website as well. So you can see your score if you didn't place. Looks like the American Ale category is missing a bunch of scores
I suppose there are chances of typos in that spreadsheet? This was my first competition ever, so I'm not too sure how the scoring works, but I had the second highest score in the "Belgian, French, and Sour" Flight.

Not sure if it's a typo, or I am missing something in the way the places are handed out?

Thanks for posting that link, by the way!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #84
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint04 View Post
I suppose there are chances of typos in that spreadsheet? This was my first competition ever, so I'm not too sure how the scoring works, but I had the second highest score in the "Belgian, French, and Sour" Flight.

Not sure if it's a typo, or I am missing something in the way the places are handed out?

Thanks for posting that link, by the way!
They followed BJCP mini-Best of Show Guidelines to for reconciling the placement of entries within a multi-flight category. http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf

In those cases, the score is not considered when the category placement is determined.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #85
Clint04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think I get it. So my beer scored relatively well on its first tasting, then went to the mini-BOS with a bunch of other beers that had scores that were disregarded, and it didn't place out of that.

Thank you for the info! Cheers!

Quote:
They followed BJCP mini-Best of Show Guidelines to for reconciling the placement of entries within a multi-flight category. http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf

In those cases, the score is not considered when the category placement is determined.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #86
HellBentBrewCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen in the IPA category. Beer scored a 42 then didn't even place. Kind of odd. My saison scored a 39.5 and that was good enough for second in its category. Both were the best scores in their categories so I'll take it.

Hell-Bent Brew Co. on Facebook
Hell-Bent Brew Co. Gear Shirts, Steins and other awesome stuff

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #87
Chad_C
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Same thing happened to me. Scored the highest in the stout category with a 39.5. I didn't even place... Overall I am happy with how I scored. Only had 1 low score, apparently due to an infection? And my fruit beer scored under 30 (29), but I think the highest fruit beer score was a 31, so I guess they just don't like fruit beers!

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #88
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

They had a good number of experienced & certified beer judges at the competition, but since there were about 300 beers to judge, they needed to recruit a few novice judges to help. I was one of only 3 judges with no prior judging experience. All of the novice judges were paired with an experienced judge, though. I knew judging wouldn't be easy and I was right. Even among experienced judges, I can easily see how there could be a wide range of scoring. But, I enjoyed the experience and plan to pursue becoming BJCP certified. I did the best I could, but with some training, I know I could do better. :-)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #89
knightnorth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In preparing for next year's competition schedule I've read up on a lot of the BJCP judging requirements. When I first started home brewing I felt as if you had to be a chemist to understand the detailed art of brewing beer. While looking at the judging training/tests/requirements it feels like you need to be a biologist to get certified. I wouldn't mind putting my nose to the books and trying to get a judge's certificate but I'm looking forward to competitions and I don't think they'll let you enter and judge at the same time.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #90
Chad_C
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
They had a good number of experienced & certified beer judges at the competition, but since there were about 300 beers to judge, they needed to recruit a few novice judges to help. I was one of only 3 judges with no prior judging experience. All of the novice judges were paired with an experienced judge, though. I knew judging wouldn't be easy and I was right. Even among experienced judges, I can easily see how there could be a wide range of scoring. But, I enjoyed the experience and plan to pursue becoming BJCP certified. I did the best I could, but with some training, I know I could do better. :-)
So you were one of the ones who screwed it up....

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer!

Quick Reply