Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Delaware HomeBrew Forum > Delaware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #101
knightnorth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can't say anything from competition experience. But from judge's tastes I'd assume that would be regional. With porters and stouts you can cover up the most mistakes. Clarity, fruity esters, strong aromas. I've been designing my beers not to be the greatest tasting but to have the fewest mistakes. I just made a Belgian Pale that stood up sip for sip against Sierra Nevada's Summer beer. But I used real whole fruit instead of peels or extract so my beer was a bit hazy. I didnt use any coriander seed so it was light on aroma and it was also 1-2 SRM points above competition quality Belgian Pale. For competitions I've been designing easier simple recipes the I can make the fewest mistakes with. I've also doubled or tripled down on my equipment so I can get fermentation temperatures right, longer boils, greater efficiency, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #102
2BorNot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did we count the brewers in DE? It seems easy enough, maybe, 20? I don’t think that could support another brew pub. Of course they could be a heavy drinking 20.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #103
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BorNot View Post
Did we count the brewers in DE? It seems easy enough, maybe, 20? I don’t think that could support another brew pub. Of course they could be a heavy drinking 20.
You don't have to be a brewer to drink at a brewpub.

And there are hundreds of homebrewers in DE. However, most of them don't participate on forums or join clubs.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #104
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BorNot
Do any of the experienced competition home brewers have any statistics on beer styles favored by the judges? I’m not making any accusations. I am just curious if any one has numbers (or an opinion) to show a particular beer wins more then others.
I have never entered or judged a competition, but reading recipes, studying styles and results from HB competitions, I believe I have observed that pushing the ABV of the style seems to yield more favorable results. If others feel that this may be a perception bias, then feel free to disagree and teach me to the contrary. :-)

And that's not to say you can brew a 9% mild ale and win... Judges would knock that for being out of the style guidelines, but pushing it to the edges would be my strategy. I mean, let's face it, what homebrewer doesn't like a strong beer? It will make the competitors seem watery by comparison.

Obviously, this suggestion probably wouldn't work in the styles where lightness of flavor is important (American Lagers, Berliner Weiss, Hefeweizen, etc).

Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #105
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
I have never entered or judged a competition, but reading recipes, studying styles and results from HB competitions, I believe I have observed that pushing the ABV of the style seems to yield more favorable results. If others feel that this may be a perception bias, then feel free to disagree and teach me to the contrary. :-)

And that's not to say you can brew a 9% mild ale and win... Judges would knock that for being out of the style guidelines, but pushing it to the edges would be my strategy. I mean, let's face it, what homebrewer doesn't like a strong beer? It will make the competitors seem watery by comparison.

Obviously, this suggestion probably wouldn't work in the styles where lightness of flavor is important (American Lagers, Berliner Weiss, Hefeweizen, etc).
I think you have a good point. In fact, I think I remember reading a caution against this type of bias in the BJCP Study Guide.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #106
2BorNot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, good point. I’ve only created one recipe of my own and specifically tried to keep it on the lower side of the guideline. My thinking (after 2 or 3 maibocks) was it would be more drinkable with less ABV. Now that I think back, those maibocks were 9%, so I don’t know if it was the alcohol flavor or the thinning of the blood. I think your point makes much more sense.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #107
_Kyle_
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Bear brewer here. Haven't brewed in a while, but I do have some wine that needs bottling.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #108
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
Bear brewer here. Haven't brewed in a while, but I do have some wine that needs bottling.
You look bored in your avatar.
Don't be bored, be brewing!

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #109
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewing in Millsboro.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #110
shadowmage36
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Newark here (among the many). Been brewing for the last 6 years or so. Have my own home bar down in the basement, completely custom built. So glad to see all the DE folks here! (Now if I only was on more often I'd be more up on what's going on around here!)

So many things to keep track of...Not enough space to write about it anymore.
Just click the stupidly large link below to see:

Two Ravens Brewing

"Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."
-E.A. Poe, "Lines on Ale"

Follow me on Twitter: @tworavensbrew

Member of the American Society of Brewing Chemists
http://www.asbcnet.org

Quick Reply