Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Delaware HomeBrew Forum > Delaware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #91
rmaloney86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I really want to enter a beer in competition, any coming up around here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #92
knightnorth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaloney86
I really want to enter a beer in competition, any coming up around here?
Try this http://www.brew-monkey.com/events/events.php

One in Gaithersburg next month. I heard that the one at the state fair was created because there wasn't any competitions close by. Living in Georgetown I'd probably have to drive 2-4 hours for most of the comps in MD, VA, and PA.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #93
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnorth View Post
In preparing for next year's competition schedule I've read up on a lot of the BJCP judging requirements. When I first started home brewing I felt as if you had to be a chemist to understand the detailed art of brewing beer. While looking at the judging training/tests/requirements it feels like you need to be a biologist to get certified. I wouldn't mind putting my nose to the books and trying to get a judge's certificate but I'm looking forward to competitions and I don't think they'll let you enter and judge at the same time.
Sure you can. I entered 2 beers. You just can't judge the same category that you entered. And I would imagine you couldn't judge Best in Show.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #94
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstStateBrewer View Post
They had a good number of experienced & certified beer judges at the competition, but since there were about 300 beers to judge, they needed to recruit a few novice judges to help. I was one of only 3 judges with no prior judging experience. All of the novice judges were paired with an experienced judge, though. I knew judging wouldn't be easy and I was right. Even among experienced judges, I can easily see how there could be a wide range of scoring. But, I enjoyed the experience and plan to pursue becoming BJCP certified. I did the best I could, but with some training, I know I could do better. :-)
You even scored one of my beers, an American IPA Nice job!

Got the score sheets back today and overall I am very pleased by the comments and how the beers were evaluated. The judges took time to record their impressions and give constructive feedback & suggestions to help improve the recipe or my technique.

Some of the most thoughtful & helpful feedback I've received in the past 17 years of entering competitions. This was an order of magnitude better than what I experienced of the judges at the NHC Pittsburgh regional this year. My congratulations to the competition staff!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #95
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleHollow View Post
You even scored one of my beers, an American IPA Nice job!

Got the score sheets back today and overall I am very pleased by the comments and how the beers were evaluated. The judges took time to record their impressions and give constructive feedback & suggestions to help improve the recipe or my technique.

Some of the most thoughtful & helpful feedback I've received in the past 17 years of entering competitions. This was an order of magnitude better than what I experienced of the judges at the NHC Pittsburgh regional this year. My congratulations to the competition staff!
That was one of the categories I judged. I hope I gave you a good score!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #96
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstStateBrewer View Post
They had a good number of experienced & certified beer judges at the competition, but since there were about 300 beers to judge, they needed to recruit a few novice judges to help. I was one of only 3 judges with no prior judging experience. All of the novice judges were paired with an experienced judge, though. I knew judging wouldn't be easy and I was right. Even among experienced judges, I can easily see how there could be a wide range of scoring. But, I enjoyed the experience and plan to pursue becoming BJCP certified. I did the best I could, but with some training, I know I could do better. :-)
Did you score a sheet and then talk it over with the BJCP judge or did they let you go at it by yourself? Any instances where you thought a beer was great and the BJCP judge dinged it? Just curious to see

I concur with a previous poster, great comp and useful feed
back!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #97
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Did you score a sheet and then talk it over with the BJCP judge or did they let you go at it by yourself? Any instances where you thought a beer was great and the BJCP judge dinged it? Just curious to see

I concur with a previous poster, great comp and useful feed
back!
I judged one category in the morning with one judge and another category in the afternoon with a different judge. The first judge was more willing to talk things over than the 2nd judge. But, the rule for all judge pairs was the scores had to fall within 5 points of each other for every beer. There were instances both ways where I like a beer that the other judge didn't and vice versa.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #98
pineknot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am a brewer from Clayton. I'm pretty happy I found this thread.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #99
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineknot View Post
I am a brewer from Clayton. I'm pretty happy I found this thread.
Welcome to the thread!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #100
2BorNot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do any of the experienced competition home brewers have any statistics on beer styles favored by the judges? I’m not making any accusations. I am just curious if any one has numbers (or an opinion) to show a particular beer wins more then others.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS