The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New Jersey HomeBrew Forum > Did anyone participate in Homebrew Alley VI yesterday, 1/29/12 in Brooklyn?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

They do tend to be later than expected in announcing the winners, but this is definitely one of the best organized competitions I have ever participated in. The HBT one was #1, but this is easily #2. Both times they ran slightly late, but that's minor considering I've seen competitions cancelled after already accepting entries, and have had sheets take WEEKS to arrive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
Benny Blanco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
They do tend to be later than expected in announcing the winners, but this is definitely one of the best organized competitions I have ever participated in. The HBT one was #1, but this is easily #2. Both times they ran slightly late, but that's minor considering I've seen competitions cancelled after already accepting entries, and have had sheets take WEEKS to arrive.
Did you enter NHC round 1 (northeast region) last year? Now that was crazy. They needed like a month somehow to judge 750 entries because they pushed it back several times and even then they didnt judge two of my beers. I was furious.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I've never entered the NHC. I'm considering it for this year, but I've heard so many bad experiences that I'm really not sure if I'm going to bother.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
Benny Blanco

Recipes 

It's in Pittsburgh this year so hopefully they will do a good job. You could always enter a different region.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
sheeshomatic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Blanco View Post
Yeah? That's too bad. I have had good experiences with this competition, but have never been able to attend.

You should probably cut them some slack because I'm sure they got way more entries then they were expecting.
Fair enough. I didn't mean to sound like it was a cluster-eff, just that it could have been better organized with better information to those of us standing around. It was still a great competition. They got about 50 more entries than last year - I just attribute it to intoxication after judging beer since 8:30 in the morning.

On Tap at DWB
#1 - Seamus Stout
#2 - The Darling - Clementine Hefeweizen
Conditioning/Fermenting
#1 - Breakfast of Champions
#2 - Four Horsemen Imperial IPA

Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
Benny Blanco

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeshomatic

Fair enough. I didn't mean to sound like it was a cluster-eff, just that it could have been better organized with better information to those of us standing around. It was still a great competition. They got about 50 more entries than last year - I just attribute it to intoxication after judging beer since 8:30 in the morning.
I'm definitely heading down next year. I'll buy you a round if I see you, bro.

Quick Reply