Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New Jersey HomeBrew Forum > Central NJ - Learn how to All Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnear76
Wow. That's early. But I'm on board with whatever you guys want.

So it looks like Bobby, Soulive21, and me and perhaps janzik.

I was looking around the other day and I noticed I'm getting low on bottles. So if we do 10 gallons, I would be cool with only coming away with a 6 pack. I guess we'll figure out how much we are going to brew when we have a definite list of who is showing up. It's probably best to have a cutoff sign-up date by next week Wednesday for that particular reason.
We should vote on the starting time. My only complaint with starting later is that the Giants kick off @ 1pm on Sunday

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I honestly don't think we'd be done by 1 even with an 8am start (maybe close). I TIVO all the games for that very reason and you're welcome to hang out and get caught up on the game right afterwards. Either way...

NJnear, I've got a case of 16oz PET bottles I was going to get rid of if you want them. I might also be able to spare another sixer of glass bottles.

You can ferment your share in my primary here or take it. Do you have any 1 gallon carlo and rossi jugs? I know you know someone who drinks that stuff ;-)

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #23
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah I'm not totally concerned with the game, I was half kidding. Whenevers good for me. I just wanna learn some stuff and get some stuff in my fermenter...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #24
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I honestly don't think we'd be done by 1 even with an 8am start (maybe close). I TIVO all the games for that very reason and you're welcome to hang out and get caught up on the game right afterwards. Either way...

NJnear, I've got a case of 16oz PET bottles I was going to get rid of if you want them. I might also be able to spare another sixer of glass bottles.

You can ferment your share in my primary here or take it. Do you have any 1 gallon carlo and rossi jugs? I know you know someone who drinks that stuff ;-)
Heh. I'll take you up on the primary and I'll figure out what to do when bottling day gets closer. I plan on drinking a bit during Thanksgiving so the issue might correct itself.

I really need to get rid of this macro beer (Bud Light, Miller Light, Yuengling Lager). We bought it for a party and I can't throw it away. I hate wasting beer even if it is not as good as homebrew. Maybe I will give away the Bud and Miller, but hold onto the Yuengling.

Speaking of bottling day, I can do either December 15th or December 16th.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #25
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnear76
I really need to get rid of this macro beer (Bud Light, Miller Light, Yuengling Lager,). We bought it for a party and I can't throw it away. I hate wasting beer even if it is not as good as homebrew.
Anything you don't wanna drink, use for cooking or when guests come. I have no problem drinking Yuengling, but the light beers I save for cooking brats or chili...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #26
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive21
Anything you don't wanna drink, use for cooking or when guests come. I have no problem drinking Yuengling, but the light beers I save for cooking brats or chili...
Yeah. Yuengling is pretty good stuff. Their Porter is pretty good even though the body is weak. I like the Black and Tan a bit too. For the price it's a great deal.

Hmmm... I think I will be OK with bottles. I got a case of 22oz and with a little bit of drinking I should be able to get a case of 12oz. Did you guys ever try to bring bottles back from a party? Yeah. I got that desperate for bottles last weekend.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My bro in law works for Yuengling and I have like a case of black and tan and porter and I really can't choke it down when I have all my homebrew on tap. Ollllo also gratiously brought a ton of micros over on brew day and I'm polishing a lot of those off too.

My fermenting plan for the ESB is to let it rip at 68F until "done", then rack to secondary. I'll leave it warm for a week, then crash it to 33F for another week. I'll already have a lager in secondary "lagering" by then in my ferm chest. Following that plan will put potential bottling date out to 12/16/07. If that doesn't work out, I can force carb it in my keg and we can bottle whatever share you wanted out of the keg. I've been using the Beirmuncher picnic faucet bottling method but I haven't verified that my method preserves carbonation for long term.

If you wanted to avoid the whole issue of coming back to bottle, you could take your share in whatever primary you have available. I'll leave it up to you because I don't have any particular preference. I like the idea of having Wednesday 11/21 as the cutoff date for who's coming/not coming so I can tweak the recipe for the volume we're going to run. The more the merrier but with 4 guys, I'd really think we'd want to run two back to back 10 gallon batches to make it worth while. I've got plenty of secondaries and if bottle shortage is the issue, I can store the beer for you for a while (in theory :-)

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #28
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm bringing my Better Bottle and probably pitching Nottingham or s-04...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #29
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
My bro in law works for Yuengling and I have like a case of black and tan and porter and I really can't choke it down when I have all my homebrew on tap. Ollllo also gratiously brought a ton of micros over on brew day and I'm polishing a lot of those off too.

My fermenting plan for the ESB is to let it rip at 68F until "done", then rack to secondary. I'll leave it warm for a week, then crash it to 33F for another week. I'll already have a lager in secondary "lagering" by then in my ferm chest. Following that plan will put potential bottling date out to 12/16/07. If that doesn't work out, I can force carb it in my keg and we can bottle whatever share you wanted out of the keg. I've been using the Beirmuncher picnic faucet bottling method but I haven't verified that my method preserves carbonation for long term.

If you wanted to avoid the whole issue of coming back to bottle, you could take your share in whatever primary you have available. I'll leave it up to you because I don't have any particular preference. I like the idea of having Wednesday 11/21 as the cutoff date for who's coming/not coming so I can tweak the recipe for the volume we're going to run. The more the merrier but with 4 guys, I'd really think we'd want to run two back to back 10 gallon batches to make it worth while. I've got plenty of secondaries and if bottle shortage is the issue, I can store the beer for you for a while (in theory :-)
Sounds good. I think I will use your primary and come back the 16th to bottle.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #30
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing your setup Bobby. Since I brew at my brother-in-laws, my gear is really limited. I talked about all grain a couple of times and my wife flipped. She's worried that it's too much equipment for their place (Eyes rolling). I wish we had the space in the condo, but the closets are practically falling over in stuff. I can't wait to move next year.

Heh. I recently bought a 36 quart stainless steel pot by telling them I would deep fry the turkey this year. It's a good hidden agenda. All grain is going to happen. I'm hoping this tasty brew will win them over.

Quick Reply