Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New Jersey HomeBrew Forum > Central NJ - Learn how to All Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Central NJ - Learn how to All Grain

Sunday November 25 at my house in Piscataway, NJ.

I want to keep this small so we can stay on point and focused. The main point is to help some relatively experienced extract brewers and walk them through a simple all grain batch from milling the grain to filling the fermenter. We'll spend some time talking about figuring out volumes/temps using software, batch vs. fly equipment requirements, figuring out efficiency, and rules of thumb.

I don't claim to be an expert but I can walk you through the process I use and then you can decide whether or not it will work for you.

I'd like to keep the recipe as simple as possible; Blonde, APA, Bitter, ESB. I've got a decent stock of MO, Vienna, crystals, chocolate, etc. I need to take a better inventory. As far as hops go, I've got centenial, warrior, cascade, EKG, Tetnanger.

I don't necessarily need to take a share of the product so if anyone wants to suggest and/or purchase a kit and bring it, that's fine. It sounds like we have two people interested so far, soulive21 and njnear76. That's at least 10 gallons right there. If we get one more committed, we can bump it to two 10 gallon batches.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Excellent. Like I said, I can bring MO 2row, hops, dry yeast, propane, banjo burner, 5 gallon MLT. I should clarify that I'm a partial-mash brewer that mashes about 2-6lbs per batch. Obviously there's still plenty for me to learn though. I vote ESB as far as recipes go. Maybe one from the HBT database?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got the approval from SWMBO so I will be there. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks Bobby for organizing this.

As far as beer to take away, I would be happy with a 1/2 to 1 case. Anything beyond that is extra as far as I'm concerned. Although more beer is always a good thing. :-)

Mike

Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive21
Excellent. Like I said, I can bring MO 2row, hops, dry yeast, propane, banjo burner, 5 gallon MLT. I should clarify that I'm a partial-mash brewer that mashes about 2-6lbs per batch. Obviously there's still plenty for me to learn though. I vote ESB as far as recipes go. Maybe one from the HBT database?
I don't know man, partial mash brewers think they have it all figured out. Extract brewers only!! heh, j/k.

Yeah, we have a little time to figure recipe but I figure we'll make sure whoever is in on the split also kicks in for ingredients. Let's look around for recipes that use the stuff we have on hand. I'll take a more accurate inventory tonight.

Jamil's ESB uses Halcyon as the base but I say MO is fine. Add in a little crystal 40 and 120 and a little victory and I think we have something. EKG hops throughout? Unless you have any Fuggle/Willamete. Safale S-04 or Nottingham yeast, I have both.

I'm glad we were able to set a date so quickly and I think I will take a share of it cuz I have no English ales on hand at the moment.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have any ingredients on hand, but I am more than willing to pay my share. Either that or if we get a pizza I can pay more.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I don't know man, partial mash brewers think they have it all figured out. Extract brewers only!! heh, j/k.

Yeah, we have a little time to figure recipe but I figure we'll make sure whoever is in on the split also kicks in for ingredients. Let's look around for recipes that use the stuff we have on hand. I'll take a more accurate inventory tonight.

Jamil's ESB uses Halcyon as the base but I say MO is fine. Add in a little crystal 40 and 120 and a little victory and I think we have something. EKG hops throughout? Unless you have any Fuggle/Willamete. Safale S-04 or Nottingham yeast, I have both.

I'm glad we were able to set a date so quickly and I think I will take a share of it cuz I have no English ales on hand at the moment.
I'm nowhere neeear figured out, even with working @ Uno. I love using MO for the base of English ales. I have to check my hops, but I think I have Willamette, First Gold, and Northern Brewer. For yeast I have some us-05 and s-04. I'm cool with using Jamil's recipe and subbing in the MO. I might have some Oatmeal Stout for sampling as well. Unless it tastes like $hit from autolysis...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here is the recipe from Jamil. I changed the base malt to MO for our sake. IMO the bittering hops are also changeable...

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.6 14.00 lbs. Maris Otter 2-row Great Britain 1.038 3
3.2 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.4 0.38 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
1.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
3.2 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.90 31.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.90 3.5 20 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.90 3.5 1 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I need to get the SWMBO ok, but I just wanted to throw my name in for the meanwhile... I'll update my post later tonight...

Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I locked in the date with SWMBO. Hopefully it works for everyone else

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Screw it, I'm brewing that day no matter what but I can say that anyone that says they're def coming and doesn't is not getting invited back for a similar session. It's just uncool (short of an emergency of course).

Quick Reply